Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Names Joe, Just moved from NJ to Delaware.

Ive owned tons of power-strokes being that we use to own a construction company. I also build hotrods and 4x4s on the side, and i needed a new tow rig.

Yesterday I purchased a 1998, 12V, 5 spd, Club-Cab, Shortbed, 2wd, SRW.

Got it at a steal, less than what the engine alone is worth.

It currently has the fuel shutoff solenoid bypassed with a manual choke cable. Also has a large leak that looks to start around the V/C's. Checked for KDP damage and saw none.

It currently runs, but only with a push start. Supposedly has a newer starter but ill be removing this and having it tested. After that I will check the wiring.

Anyone have any suggestions on things I should do prior to putting this on the road? Ive already read the beginners sticky, some great info! It will need exhaust, but I believe the stock is still on it with the "cat", which is good because Delaware is sticklers on inspection.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
:worthless:

Search for the infamous--KDP repair. The pin may just be hanging, it may have been repaired. Better to have l;ooked and said OK than to hear it bust out later.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
(1) One of the first things I would recommend, if you are sure it was done, is take off the timing cover and inspect for KDP being done. This is the only way to check for sure. Just because you do not see any damage, this does not mean that the KDP fix was completed. Many have taken this for granted and ended up paying for it later on.
(2) Thoroughly check for oil leaks. Common areas are the seal between the power steering pump and the vacumn pump; tappet cover.
(3) Inspect to see what performance mods have been completed, i.e., AFC, timing. I would verify with the PO to see what mods they have done and whether the tranny was ever beefed-up to handle the engine mods.

Reactions: Brufish69

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
(1) One of the first things I would recommend, if you are sure it was done, is take off the timing cover and inspect for KDP being done. This is the only way to check for sure. Just because you do not see any damage, this does not mean that the KDP fix was completed. Many have taken this for granted and ended up paying for it later on.
(2) Thoroughly check for oil leaks. Common areas are the seal between the power steering pump and the vacumn pump; tappet cover.
(3) Inspect to see what performance mods have been completed, i.e., AFC, timing. I would verify with the PO to see what mods they have done and whether the tranny was ever beefed-up to handle the engine mods.
Its suppose to be stock, he just towed with it. Im def doing the KDP, thats not something i wanna screw with risking. Yea i gotta hunt down a few oil leaks.

Only has 229k on it.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
That is could, hard to find a stock 12V anymore. Usually already modded. One really important thing, it is really tempting to go ahead and mod the engine. These 12Vs are great, you can easily get another 100hp and 200+ torgue by just modding the IP and AFC for a few dollars. HOWEVER - if you do this before making the necessary mods on the tranny, you will more than likely trash your tranny. My truck went thru two trannys (both done by PO), last one blew on me, to include the driveshaft. After this I spent $4k on a fully built 750HP tranny, no problems since.
When Dodge put the Cummins 5.9 in these truck, they got cheap. Instead of modding the tranny from the getgo, they instead detuned the engine.
Many people on this forum will testify to the same experience...beware!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is could, hard to find a stock 12V anymore. Usually already modded. One really important thing, it is really tempting to go ahead and mod the engine. These 12Vs are great, you can easily get another 100hp and 200+ torgue by just modding the IP and AFC for a few dollars. HOWEVER - if you do this before making the necessary mods on the tranny, you will more than likely trash your tranny. My truck went thru two trannys (both done by PO), last one blew on me, to include the driveshaft. After this I spent $4k on a fully built 750HP tranny, no problems since.
When Dodge put the Cummins 5.9 in these truck, they got cheap. Instead of modding the tranny from the getgo, they instead detuned the engine.
Many people on this forum will testify to the same experience...beware!
Thankfully it has the 5speed manual. Ive built some auto trans for my race car, and i just dont like the concept of them. Ill pick up a better clutch down the road if i end up needing it. Really im just gonna be using it to tow my rockcrawler, drag car, and mud truck. Gonna try to not dump money into mods unless I have to haha....well all know how long that lasts..

i heard this body style is rare being the 5.9 5 spd, ext cab but only has 2 doors with a short bed.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Search for the infamous--KDP repair. The pin may just be hanging, it may have been repaired. Better to have l;ooked and said OK than to hear it bust out later.

I would have some, but the AAA driver would not pick it up last night seeing it had no tags... driver must not have wanted his tip. So i had to hire a friend of a friend to get it. 100$ for 31miles and he has a winch to put on trailer. Works for me.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Sorry about that, forgot you has a manual tranny.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry about that, forgot you has a manual tranny.
All good, I find myself never going back to an auto unless its a rockcrawler and ive built it ... call me picky

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I like it! I think it's a neat looking truck. A friend of my dad has one very similar ('98 2wd short bed, but his is a quad cab with an automatic).

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like it! I think it's a neat looking truck. A friend of my dad has one very similar ('98 2wd short bed, but his is a quad cab with an automatic).
so glad i found a 5spd.. i wasnt even looking for a truck yet... it fell into my lap

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Been looking around at diff mods and what people tow, but I havent seen yet what people do for a "mild" tow tune.

I wanna get the best MPG and Tow ease along with it.

What would be the best options?

I was thinking of sliding the stock fuel plate, intake, and exhaust.

Anything else benefit the mpg?

I will also be doing gauges

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
A lot of guys towing use a 10 plate. However, that requires using a pyrometer. Just sliding your stock fuel plate forward means using a pyrometer is a good idea.

What is your truck? Year and transmission can help giving replies.

Been looking around at diff mods and what people tow, but I havent seen yet what people do for a "mild" tow tune.

If you have an automatic the ONLY safe power mod is to install a 3K or a 4K GSK. That is a Governor Spring Kit. You can decide between a kit that will be good to about 3,000 or 4,000 rpm. The only difference between them is 2 springs. I suggest buying a 4K kit as it is as cheap or cheaper than the 3K kits I have seen.

Exhaust and intake will probably not do much to help.

The GSK mod will allow your truck not to defuel (lose tons of power) at about 2,200 or 2,300 rpm. Instead it allows full fueling higher into the rpm band. However, if you would ever rev faster than 3,000 rpm you really want to install the heavier 60# valve springs. Once you get to 3,200 rpm there is a risk that valves and pistons can try to be in the same place at the same time with expensive results. Allowing 200 extra rpm means you are safe from possible driver or tach errors.

With a 5 speed your stock clutch might slip given full throttle in the upper gears with some free mods.

I have been told that going from the stock injectors to a 5x.011 will improve mpg a little. Going bigger than that sees mpg start to drop. I am not sure if you want to go to a hybrid hx35/40 with that or not.

A fuel plate only comes into play when you give it the go fast pedal. Otherwise it does not affect mpg.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A lot of guys towing use a 10 plate. However, that requires using a pyrometer. Just sliding your stock fuel plate forward means using a pyrometer is a good idea.

What is your truck? Year and transmission can help giving replies.

If you have an automatic the ONLY safe power mod is to install a 3K or a 4K GSK. That is a Governor Spring Kit. You can decide between a kit that will be good to about 3,000 or 4,000 rpm. The only difference between them is 2 springs. I suggest buying a 4K kit as it is as cheap or cheaper than the 3K kits I have seen.

Exhaust and intake will probably not do much to help.

The GSK mod will allow your truck not to defuel (lose tons of power) at about 2,200 or 2,300 rpm. Instead it allows full fueling higher into the rpm band. However, if you would ever rev faster than 3,000 rpm you really want to install the heavier 60# valve springs. Once you get to 3,200 rpm there is a risk that valves and pistons can try to be in the same place at the same time with expensive results. Allowing 200 extra rpm means you are safe from possible driver or tach errors.

With a 5 speed your stock clutch might slip given full throttle in the upper gears with some free mods.

I have been told that going from the stock injectors to a 5x.011 will improve mpg a little. Going bigger than that sees mpg start to drop. I am not sure if you want to go to a hybrid hx35/40 with that or not.

A fuel plate only comes into play when you give it the go fast pedal. Otherwise it does not affect mpg.
1998, 12V, 5 spd, Club-Cab, Shortbed, 2wd, SRW.

Info was in first post. I was trying to do some minor mods with little money. I dont want to go overboard like Ive done with all my vehicles haha. Would the 3gsk help mileage at all or just power?

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
1998, 12V, 5 spd, Club-Cab, Shortbed, 2wd, SRW.

Info was in first post. I was trying to do some minor mods with little money. I dont want to go overboard like Ive done with all my vehicles haha. Would the 3gsk help mileage at all or just power?
If anything the 3K GSK would hurt mileage.The reason is the higher rpm's you turn the more fuel you use. With a 5 speed you probably want to install a 4K GSK as the 3k GSK might defuel to early for you. The reason to install a GSK is to allow you to turn higher rpm's without defueling. This could be very useful being able to get into a higher powerband when towing. Going up a hill this may be the difference between shifting into the next higher gear or being stuck in 3rd or 4th gear. It should not affect your mpg at all if you keep your foot out of it. When towing it might help as you could get into the next higher gear.

Here is what one member told me. If I recall correctly this injector change *might* gain you 1/2 or 3/4 mpg above your 215hp injectors. Then again with over 200k on your injectors the pop pressure might have changed enough so that you would gain a little more mpg with a stock 215hp injector replacement. :confused013:

That will cost around $260 for that little mpg improvement. In another 180k miles or so it might be a worthwhile upgrade when your injectors finally get worn enough to justify replacing them.

Below is information I was given about these injectors. I will pm you the person to contact about these injectors if you like.

"On my daily driver with Hx35 turbo, I choose to run 5x.011" sac injectors. Best combo of power, fuel economy, and throttle response I have ever tried."

"I'm a fuel economy nut and have spent a lot of time and money researching and testing fuel efficient nozzles. Of all the nozzles I've tried, the 5x.011" SAC nozzles provided the best fuel economy hands down. 5x.010" SAC were next best and nearly identical to new factory stock 215 nozzles. "

"The 5x.011's run just as clean as a stock nozzle up till about 25% throttle, after that they start to fuel progressively heavier so you have to ramp up the throttle a little slower to allow boost to be build before the additional fueling."

"On the top end WOT, they put out more fuel that stock so obviously they do smoke more than stock nozzles."

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If anything the 3K GSK would hurt mileage.The reason is the higher rpm's you turn the more fuel you use. With a 5 speed you probably want to install a 4K GSK as the 3k GSK might defuel to early for you. The reason to install a GSK is to allow you to turn higher rpm's without defueling. This could be very useful being able to get into a higher powerband when towing. Going up a hill this may be the difference between shifting into the next higher gear or being stuck in 3rd or 4th gear. It should not affect your mpg at all if you keep your foot out of it. When towing it might help as you could get into the next higher gear.

Here is what one member told me. If I recall correctly this injector change *might* gain you 1/2 or 3/4 mpg above your 215hp injectors. Then again with over 200k on your injectors the pop pressure might have changed enough so that you would gain a little more mpg with a stock 215hp injector replacement. :confused013:

That will cost around $260 for that little mpg improvement. In another 180k miles or so it might be a worthwhile upgrade when your injectors finally get worn enough to justify replacing them.

Below is information I was given about these injectors. I will pm you the person to contact about these injectors if you like.

"On my daily driver with Hx35 turbo, I choose to run 5x.011" sac injectors. Best combo of power, fuel economy, and throttle response I have ever tried."

"I'm a fuel economy nut and have spent a lot of time and money researching and testing fuel efficient nozzles. Of all the nozzles I've tried, the 5x.011" SAC nozzles provided the best fuel economy hands down. 5x.010" SAC were next best and nearly identical to new factory stock 215 nozzles. "

"The 5x.011's run just as clean as a stock nozzle up till about 25% throttle, after that they start to fuel progressively heavier so you have to ramp up the throttle a little slower to allow boost to be build before the additional fueling."

"On the top end WOT, they put out more fuel that stock so obviously they do smoke more than stock nozzles."
The 4k requires the change of the valve springs correct? to the 60lb'rs. Not a hard job, with the amount of people that seem to do it, it looks to be a huge upgrade.

Ill prob hit you up after i get it running and all the kinks worked out

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
The 4k requires the change of the valve springs correct? to the 60lb'rs. Not a hard job, with the amount of people that seem to do it, it looks to be a huge upgrade.

Ill prob hit you up after i get it running and all the kinks worked out
The 4K GSK only requires the heavy duty 60# valve springs IF you would rev faster than 3,200 rpm's. It is that rpm range that puts the valves in danger of floating. If you would rev that fast then yes, definitely install the heavier valve springs. If you keep the tach under the redline there is no danger. The old mechanical gas engines had a tach with a redline. If you revved into the red zone you risked engine damage. This would be the same way. If you keep itin the safe rpm zone everything is fine. If you go past the redline you risk engine damage. Just because you could rev faster than 3,200 rpm does not mean you ever have to rev faster than 3.200 rpm.

The heavy duty valve springs really come into play when you install an exhaust brake. The back pressure created using an exhaust brake can easily float the stock valve springs.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I have a #10 plate in my 12v 5spd dually 4.10s 2wd. really happy with it.

Also have intake exhaust, gsk, etc. I get 20-21 towing 7k pounds @ 65mph

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a #10 plate in my 12v 5spd dually 4.10s 2wd. really happy with it.

Also have intake exhaust, gsk, etc. I get 20-21 towing 7k pounds @ 65mph
Thats excellent!

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.