Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's lots of talk about trading out a 1st gen no lock for a 2nd gen lockup but is it really worth the work ? Does it improve millage ? How does it affect towing (under 8K) ?

I have a line on a '94 46H with 170K (mine is just over 200k). It's out of a 1 ton that had a 5th wheel set-up but the fluid is clean.

$400 and they will include the adapter plate etc, :)drool2:) so all I will need is to shorten the drive shaft and rig a toggle. Right ??

I know I will have to unlock for hills and in town but any other things ? Any words from the wise ?

·
Registered
963 Posts
unlock for hills, why would you want to do that??? keep that baby locked and let the torque pull you up instead of slip through the sloppy non locking converter!!

I have done the swap, it was the best thing i did to the truck, hands down.. There is a few good write ups on DTR you may want to read.. But, a little work is worth the reward, I pd 500 for all my stuff.. So if you get it all for 400, I would say do it.. The hardest part is probably notching the trans mount.. Even that is pretty easy.. You need a 2nd gen starter too, have to bend or notch the frame rail to clear.. Also the 4wd linkage needs to be addressed.. I made a relocating bracket that took care of it... Pretty straight foward job, once you get into it, you may have a few querks.. But they are easily corrected if you get my drift..

This little switch is the best part of the truck... Can you guess what it does??

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I know what the switch does! :hehe:

I have plans for a 47RH swap as well, anything is better than a stock 518.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts