Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1999 Ram 2500 24v

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Monstermaker 
#1 ·
Bought a 1999 24v cummins over the weekend for $2000. 161,216 miles Kid locked the Transfer case up and messed up the OD where Transfer case attaches. Bought a Transfer case, and OD for transmission waiting on them to arrive, already had the front and rear driveshafts reworked, as well as new u joints and CV joint. Truck starts just fine, and idles smooth. I notice when I step on the pedal a little it shoots up to 2500 rpm very quick, is this normal? Also what are some recommend upgrades for these trucks?

#2 ·
cv joints? our trucks dont have those.

fass lift pump is my first go to - anything to give you more fuel pressure.
get a fuel pressure gage to monitor things as well.
since you have the trans out you should upgrade your planetary gears as the ones from the factory are VERY weak. replace the torque converter with a tripple disk while your at it, the factory one is also very weak. then you should shift kit the valve body so it flows fluid in park, prevents you running on dry clutch packs.

after that you just need to determine if you are going stock power or adding power. that will determine what other upgrades you should get.

Reactions: cumminsbro2013
#3 ·
Nailed all the basics right there ^^. Just watch a triple disc with a stock input, they like to break. But Trans and Fuel Pressure are big ones here. Once those are covered you have a pretty darn reliable truck. As for other upgrades, how much you wanna spend...

#4 ·
Thanks for the info! Gonna start off slow minus the fuel, and transmission. This is gonna be my workhorse for the farm, plus the occasional fun at the stoplight lol. Already has a hay bed on it. All I need to do is upgrade the transmission for hauling round bales of hay, and trailers, and then whatever you guys suggest under the hood for all of that.

#6 ·
ive run a stock input for a while with a billet tripple. before i put compounds on but i broke a couple output with out breaking the intputs. now i have billet on 2 and output is an upgraded but not billet - i wanted a fuse.

#12 ·
I have the same year truck and everything and since there was good conversation goin I thought I’d ask my question here instead of starting my own thread my truck has been over boosting for awhile and then I changed my map sensor and the truck started to only boost at around 2k rpms and about a week ago it stop boosting altogether for the most part u less I really get in it then it makes about 10lbs I think my wastegate valve in the turbo is stuck what do all of you think.

#13 ·
First thing to check is if you’ve got a boost leak, probably one of the rubber elbows.
Google how to build a boost leak tester. Sometimes you can check all the rubber boots and see that it’s got a tear, I’ve had that happen right after upping the boost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.