Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ight guys, currently i have a cracked 53 block:CRY:. Tried to fix i all posible was and now is beond fixing. I need a new block yes...instead of getting a non 53 98.5-02 block. I was thinking about getting a 6.7 short block from cummins and swap all my stuff over to it(stroked 5.9):woot2: using my 2nd gen head and injection pump. My question is will the heads match up and would this setup work(compression, valve clearance,.....), Thanks Guy for all the info!:beer

ps. also how much would a 6.7 short block run :$:

·
UNDERCONSTRUCTION
1,333 Posts
that would be sweet if that could work. im really curious now. :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
Yeah, I would also like to know! I think I am missing something here though.... Are you gonna use 6.7 pistons with a 5.9 head?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since i need a new block why not get a short block(6.7L) from somewheres and take all my stuff that is on my 99 trucks motor and put it on the 07 block, so there would be my original front cover plate for my injection pump and the head from the original motor on the new 07 block if it all can work. Everything would be original from my 99 except the block and internals(piston, crank, rods, ?cam?). I'm wondering now if the 07 cam would be better then the cam in my block now

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I'm pretty sure that bores are different...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "negative"...

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
The bore and stroke are both larger on the 6.7L.

Engine-----Bore(in)-------Stroke(in)
5.9L--------4.02-----------4.72
6.7L--------4.22-----------4.88

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bore and stroke are both larger on the 6.7L.

Engine-----Bore(in)-------Stroke(in)
5.9L--------4.02-----------4.72
6.7L--------4.22-----------4.88

Thats what i want to do is have a larger displacement motor without all the emmisions stuff on the newer motor and trying to get a cp3 to work with a vp44 computer. i know you can take a 5.9 block and bore it out .30 or .40 over, instead of a 4.02 stock it would be a 4.32 bored .30 over. instead of doing all that machining jus to bore the 5.9 out, and not having the stroke to go along with the bigger bore, why not get a 6.7l block with the pistons rods and crank and put my 5.9 head on the 6.7l block. I need to know if the head bolt patterns are the same on both blocks so i know if my head would fit on the 6.7 block.

·
Premium Member
8,547 Posts
alittle info to help you out, the head on a 6.7 and a head on a 06-07 5.9 are the same head

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I know on chevy gasser stuff you take a 350ci(5.7l) chevy motor bore it out .30 over and use a crank from a 400ci(6.6l) and you get a 383ci(6.3l) and that would be a stroked 350ci motor. I want to have the stoke of the displacement of the 6.7l motor with all my injecton turbo head etc. from my 1999 motor so hopefully it would all work just it wouldnt be an old 5.9 nor a new 6.7. hope this explains more on what i want to do.:popcorn:

Also i know that people are taking a 12v block and putting 24v heads on the 12v block. same basic principal but i want to use the 6.7 block instead of the 12v block.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alittle info to help you out, the head on a 6.7 and a head on a 06-07 5.9 are the same head

thanks for the info maybe more info on the newer 5.9 stuff:hyper:

·
UNDERCONSTRUCTION
1,333 Posts
thanks for the info maybe more info on the newer 5.9 stuff:hyper:
im pretty sure the CR patterns are the same as the 24 and 12's. you could always just take measurements off of both and see if there the same.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anybody else have any input.....pictures of the 6.7 block and head would be nice....something to give me and idea on what these motors look like

·
Registered
146 Posts
this would be really nice if you could pull it off. a real sleeper, a '99 dually with a 6.7.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts