Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 ram 2500 with the cummings 5.9l diesel

I was woundering for feature refrence if my motor is rebuildable. It currently has 220,xxx miles. I herd that some cummings arent sleeved and rebuildable.

Thanks -Brett

·
Registered
327 Posts
:welcome: But man you gotta drop the g.:w:

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
I have a 1999 ram 2500 with the cummings 5.9l diesel

I was woundering for feature refrence if my motor is rebuildable. It currently has 220,xxx miles. I herd that some cummings arent sleeved and rebuildable.

Thanks -Brett
I believe the 5.9s are rebuild able but on a well maintained Cummins 220k miles is not that much.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I believe the 5.9s are rebuild able but on a well maintained Cummins 220k miles is not that much.
nope mine has 250k and stronger then ever.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Our engines aren't sleeved, but that doesn't mean they aren't rebuildable.

First of all, the majority of engines that see any kind of piston wear at all either suffered oiling malfunctions or piston melt. Most engines see very little cylinder wear; you hear stories about cross hatch being visible after 750,000 miles...

Second of all, it's just an extra step to drill out cylinders and put in sleeves.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
As with pretty much any parent bore block, they can just punch it out and go oversized. I believe cummins makes 3 or 4 oversizes for these things.

But if something totally brutal has happened, like said above, they can carve it out and drop a new sleeve into it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts