Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having issues priming my 1999 5.9l cummins. 4 speed auto trans,in-tank lift pump,checked the lift pump,it flows good to the filter. Any good bleeding advice would be great,thanks.

·
Registered
21,717 Posts
Get the air out at the filter, then lift pump return then crack 3 injector lines and drank until you get clear fuel squirting out with out bubbles and close each one as you do and should start.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Don't even bother with the injectors until you have fuel coming out of the return line on the vp-44. I have to crank mine with the line open to get fuel primed through the pump. The pump will not prime just because the lift pump runs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,I primed it the way the Hayes manual said too. Cracked the fuel line at the pump that comes from the filter housing. The pick up pump seems to work well. After that step,I cracked 3 injector lines and was getting little to no flow while turning the engine over. I hope it isn't the vp44 or computer issue :eek:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Re-tighten the fuel supply line on the vp44 that comes from the filter. then crack the return line on the vp44 that's right next to the supply line. Then crank the motor until you get fuel. After that bleed the three injector lines. It can take a surprisingly long time to get the air out and maybe even a battery boost to help if they are weak.

·
Registered
21,717 Posts
You have to be cranking it over to bleed the injector lines. It does sometimes take a lot of cranking to bleed them. Crack them a little farther and look for clear fuel coming out not bubbles. Close them as clear fuel squirts out. Try again harder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well,the boss decided he wanted to do a complete rebuild on the engine. It has the 53 block we have been nursing for a while. I'll have the pump checked at a shop,we have a 56 block we will get checked out at a machine-head shop. I really appreciate y'alls advice. I've worked on a lot of Cat and Detriot engines,just never had one this hard to prime. Any thoughts on switching to a P pump?? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Make sure you have the correct year to swap in.....

·
Registered
21,717 Posts
Do not know what you are having trouble with bleeding. I have done it in 15-30 minutes alone or less with a key turner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes sir,I got fuel to the injection pump,just can't get it to come out when I crack the lines.I was told to bleed the return also,just got busy at work and haven't had time to mess with it. Actually thinking about a p pump when we start the rebuild.

·
Registered
21,717 Posts
Just bleed to the return line outlet on the VP. The crack the three injector lines you can reach. Maybe a little looser that you have been. Charge your batteries overnight before you start so they are 100+%. Do not leave any lines or fittings loose when not working on it. Once you have the injector lines loose stay under the hood and have somebody else crank it over until you get fuel out around the fittings in clear liquid, not bubbles that will come first. Crank up to 30 seconds on the starter and take only short breaks. Once fuel starts to squirt out of each fitting, close the fitting while still cranking. Keep cranking until all three are bled and it will start to hit and then run unless you have a bad VP.

Reactions: dozer12216

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
be careful when you break he injectors open, lots of pressure commin through there when you crank it.
The pressure coming through there isn't going to hurt you or anything else, just spray everywhere and possible make a mess.... Crack them, and crank, let the key on after cranking and it will continue to run the lift pump, then when lift pump stops, crank again. Once they are flowing fuel good, close and crank till it fires off, 30 seconds max.

·
Registered
21,717 Posts
Luke, start you won new thread and state all your issues along with filling out your profile describing your truck, location, etc. Not sure of your problem at this point. Is it dying when backing up? Fuel level?

·
Registered
39 Posts
when I replaced my injectors i had someone bump the starter a few times until i got fuel at the crossover tubes. when it came time to crank it over we only had to crank for about 6 seconds before she caught and took off. YMMV

·
Registered
125 Posts
Crack injector lines 1,3,&4 bump the starter and the lift pump will run for 25 seconds. Turn key off then on and bump starter again until fuel starts coming out of injector lines. Once fuel starts to come out of an injector line tighten the line. Once the the lines are tightened crank the engine and it should start right up in a few seconds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts