Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1999 2500 brake lights done work

6401 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  dslsmoked
k well i was towing a trailer with bad wiring.

i have the prodegy brake controller.

the brakes started workign intermitenly.

then nothing. i thought it was the trailer but i noticed that the controller wasn't reading no connection.

so i drove for a couple more days but noticed that my rear brake lights are workgin at all.

running lights are ok, hazzard and turn signals are ok.

i checked all the fuses. they are fine no blown ones.

i checked the petal switch. i didn't try jumpering it. although i did take the switch apart. everythign inside looked clean and functioning.

i guess i should try jumpering it but i thought i'd ask to see if there is some common problem onthese.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
231 Posts
Well, that is super hard to diagnose, usually you end up taking all kinds of $hit apart to find the problem. Do the lights work when not attached to the trailer? If they work then, it is trailer problem, and just to be safe I'd start there by fixing all the issues. Most likely it isn't in the switch, I'd also check back where the plug from the truck to the trailer meet. Could be a loose wire there too....

· Registered
598 Posts
Don't the brake Lights run thru/With the turn signal relay? was gonna tow a buddy's boat....noticed that my left rear brake light didn't work...nor the turn signal...changed bulb...no fix....changed the turn signal relay and it started working...I got a HD relay since I tow some...

· Registered
211 Posts
There is a fuse in the fuse box on the left fenderwell that controls the brake lights.

· Registered
161 Posts
Don't the brake Lights run thru/With the turn signal relay? was gonna tow a buddy's boat....noticed that my left rear brake light didn't work...nor the turn signal...changed bulb...no fix....changed the turn signal relay and it started working...I got a HD relay since I tow some...
if your turn singals work, the circuit to your brake lights is good. check for power to your brake light switch, check the cold side of the switch, also try unplugging your brake controller. when i was working for uhaul had a trucks brake lights fail due to a brake controller malfunction on the cold side of the brake light switch; there should be two fuses under the hood, trailer brake/turn and truck brake/turn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.