Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for a long time and have read A LOT of information. Found a 1999 2500 4X4 clubcab long wheel base, 24V with 230,000 miles. Says it has not been run in a year, 4k OBO. It's in the south, I'm a 2 hour drive from it so all I have is this and a few pics (body looks decent, no obvious rust, no major damage from what I see, interior unknown except it is leather). Before I waste 5 hours of time, is this even worth a trip for 4k? I know, could be a big mess under the hood, but maybe I could make an offer??? What do the experts think?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Most likely is damaged pretty bad to park it that long.
You might ask if it starts. No start or poor run, figure a coupla grand on pumps-your labor or twice that for someone else to do it.
Won't pull/trans issue, someone else more knowledgeable needs to answer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I know it's a crap shoot. I was thinking of making a super low offer, like $1k because of the unknowns, heck he's had it for sale for over a month...

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
If you're not hurting for the fuel money, I'd definitely make the trip to look at it myself. The only way to know the true condition of something is to look it over yourself. Of course, ask preliminary questions like Clunk suggested. Does it run? Does it move? Why has it been parked? Etc.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
$4k is a pretty good deal if it's decent and only needing something like a VP. If he won't return your calls then chances are it's already sold.

If you do get a hold of him and it's still up for grabs then I would definitely look into it. Ask if he stopped driving it for any reason (maybe he just got something new and didn't need to drive it anymore). If you decide to go take a look at it then take some jumper cables or a few batteries to throw in it and get a scanner to check for codes. Do some research on here or on Moparman's forum and maybe even print out the codes to take with you to see what you might be dealing with.

Like I mentioned, if you can get it that cheap and all it needs is a VP and lift pump then it is well worth it and both are an easy install. If it has unknown problems and you are still interested then try to bring his price way down and then see what you can do with it. Even if you end up with a truck that you don't want to fix for $2k, you could part it out and make some cash off of it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
best of luck, im interested to see how this turns out. keep us up to date :)

·
PA VICE PRESIDENT
4,648 Posts
4k obo I say throw out a 2k offer and see how it goes. If the body and everything else is good and worst case you need an engine you can get one for about 3k. Keep calling the guy he will eventually call you back. Tell him your very interested and looking to buy a truck soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No response to text or calls...probably gone or dont give a crap which is why it has sat in his driveway for a year. I'll keep looking. One question though, WHY are the 2nd gens costing so much? $6-$12k for diesels with most nearing 300k miles...And diesel is $3.75+gallon...What gives?

·
PA VICE PRESIDENT
4,648 Posts
No response to text or calls...probably gone or dont give a crap which is why it has sat in his driveway for a year. I'll keep looking. One question though, WHY are the 2nd gens costing so much? $6-$12k for diesels with most nearing 300k miles...And diesel is $3.75+gallon...What gives?
Simple to work on, not made half azz like the newer trucks. All around great reliable trucks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I'm bound and determined to find one. I dont plan on towing anything or off-roading, but I can't stand how the 2x4 front end looks lower vs how the 4x4 looks. I have read that the 2x4 is less wear and tear, and better mpg. I just got it in my head that I 'need' a 4x4...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Well I'm bound and determined to find one. I dont plan on towing anything or off-roading, but I can't stand how the 2x4 front end looks lower vs how the 4x4 looks. I have read that the 2x4 is less wear and tear, and better mpg. I just got it in my head that I 'need' a 4x4...
what you have read is correct 2x4 has less parts to wear out than a 4x4. If you know youre not offroading and live where it rarely snows then the 2x4 could be your ticket, and you could save alot of money.

Fuel economy heavily relies on your right foot. Some people get 20+ MPG in a 4x4, I get 17, others get 15 MPG in a 2x4.

Reactions: bigtuna42

·
PA VICE PRESIDENT
4,648 Posts
there expensive cause diesel is the new rice
Sadly you are right... I know of 8-10 trucks off the top of my head that havent saw anything more in the bed than a beer cooler! Heck 2nd week of owning my truck I had almost 2 ton of gravel in it. I bought my truck to use it as a truck not to drive around town all day rolling coal..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't want to roll coal. What I want is a truck that will LAST as long as I can take care of it. I loathe buying cars. And loathe a payment even more. A cummins diesel will last a mighty long time. Of course the rest of the truck will fall apart around it but I'm all in!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.