Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1998 12V 53 block

3362 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  DIESELGUY84
Well I thought I finally found my truck. It was clean and low miles (80k). It has the automatic trans, but it seems to shift fine. After a test drive I decided I better check the block, and sure enough it was the damn 53 block. I walked away in disappointment.

My question is do the 12V 53 blocks have the same problem as the 24v 53 block? Should I be so picky? or are my concerns valid? I'm not in a big hurry, but there sure isn't many low mile 12v's out there!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
9,910 Posts
Yes, they are the same thing.

Kind of sucks though, depending on the price i would have probably picked it up anyways. remember that the 53 block is ony prone to cracking compared to any of the other castings, not all of them do, you may get lucky...

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's asking $8000, but one side has a pretty big dent\scrape like he run up against a big rock or something. If it was not for the 53 block I wouldn't have cared, but all those things combined I was a little scared as he is firm on the price.

· Registered
9,910 Posts
That price is a little steep regardless of the engine if the body is beat up

Probably another one of those guys that think they have something special because its a 98 12v

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea the funny thing is I saw the bill of sale and they had just bought it at auction. They paid $3700! but they wouldn't budge on the price.

I'm going to look at a 95 with a NV4500 today.

· Registered
434 Posts
I don't think the 12V 53 blocks had the cracking issues the 24V 53 blocks did.
The 53,54,55,56 #'s indicate which casting machine made the block, only the Brazilin company(TUPY) used these #'s
Yes that 12V block was cast on the same machine, but #53 did not have issues untill Cummins redesigned the blocks for the 24V.
IIRC The failure rate for the 24V 53's was only like 1 in 8.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.