Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello im here in Brownwood TX. I have a 97 dodge 3500 cummins 12 valve 5 speed. iv had the truck 6 months when i got it seemed to not have much power. like when you would pull a small grade it would go from 65 to like 55 well changed the filter and cleaned the prefilter seemed to helped some. well i turned the star screw up quiet a bit its a lot better but some times it catches like when im at a light and shift from 2 to 3rd it will just take off like a race car. and blow black smoke but it does not run that way all time it does the smoke thing once a week or so a friend of mine says his will do it all the time. witch i dont want the smoke but would like the power well i was looking at the overflow valve and it does not appear to ever have been changed. it has 223000 on it. I am disabled . is the overflow valve hard to change and where is a good place to get one. well sorry for the long thread and thanks for all the help my number is 325-721-8661 call or text or send me a pm if you can help or know something to change thanks again!!!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Not a fan of punctuation are ya? :confused013:

That was hard to read, insert a comma or at least a period from time to time even if it is in the wrong place, at least give it a shot. :hehe:

Just kidding, sorta.

This was happening to me when I installed my #10 plate and had adjusted the governor lever all wrong and it was diving under the plate. It would take off like a scalded dog every once in a while but I couldn't figure out why or when.

You haven't done any plate stuff yet have you? Or did the previous owner do any?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry about that. Well the guy I bought it from said he moved the stock fuel plate forward. do I need to check something there thanks for the reply!!!

·
Registered
526 Posts
x2 on the lever getting stuck under the plate

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
ok, in that case I'm very willing to bet that you're gov arm lever is diving under the plate, he may have adjusted the lever thinking he was doing good, and was actually making things worse. You'll know if he messed around with it by seeing if there's a wire still tying the two screws together that hold on the access plate to the gov. lever adjustment.

So:

With a deep well (10 mm I THINK) socket loosen the retaining nut on the adjustment screw. Then you'll use a flathead screwdriver to actually adjust the lever position. Screw in to raise it, out to lower it. You're going to want to raise it.

Here's the pump tuning article that gives the pix so you'll know where and what I'm talkin' about:

Diesel Database :: Turning Up A P7100 Pump

look under governor lever adjustment.

hope that's all clear enough. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks ill check that i know he said he moved the fuel plate forward and put the afc housing where it was. are you suppose to move it forward as well

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
also check to make sure that the shutoff solenoid is moving freely and fully!

If it does not move all the way up, it will limit rack travel/fueling

1 - 7 of 7 Posts