Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mines worn out and needs to be replaced. I'm looking at $270.00 plus new studs from Napa any other suggestions. I have another car to use for now so I can wait for parts.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Check out this site,quad4x4.com

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
A few folks have been talking about complete hub assemblies for $125 from most of the major autoparts stores including Napa.
These are Chinese knockoffs and sometimes have fallen apart in the box.
Not that I would use them, but maybe you might.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Advance Auto lists the NTP (I would not recomend) for $138.99 and the National (decent brand) for $215.99.

Jim

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Mines worn out and needs to be replaced. I'm looking at $270.00 plus new studs from Napa any other suggestions. I have another car to use for now so I can wait for parts.
if I were you find someone that can get shop discounts. I found the napa near me makes about a 100-135 profit on there hub's.

·
Registered
30 Posts
roger that--they make out like bandits:buttkick:--i picked up hub assemblies today for my dually for $230 a piece, lifetime garauntee--they are supposedly more money than regular 3/4 tons because of the extensions--i would shop around, and then find a buddy that can at least get you a 10% discount, or apply for a cash account at the parts store--usually good for 10% off the top of parts--my .02 cents--aj

·
Registered
93 Posts
Go online and check Oreilly's, AZ,Advance and print out the lowest price and take it to one of the above and they will price match. I would buy the best one you can afford, I was reading an article on bearings and the least expensive one you will be lucky to get a maximium of 50K miles.
Also you can reuse your old studs if you use a sludge hammer and knock your old ones out after you pull the hub off the truck, Then if you put your studs in a freezer overnight you can hammer them back in and use a air hammer to get them to seat all the way down, I did not know about the freezer and air hammer until after I did mine and I am ready for the other side to go out because it took a while to pound the studs in.

·
Registered
115 Posts
For $16.00 ($1.99 X 8) I personally would not fool with reusing the old ones. Maybe knock them out and keep for emergency replacements.

I use an old open type lugnut turned around backwards with some spacers and pull mine in with a impact wrench. That way you are not HAMMERING ON A NEW BEARING.

Oh and Advance Auto Parts will price match if it is the same product, with the same warranty.

Jim

·
Registered
93 Posts
For $ 1.99 I wouldn't waste my time either. When I did mine they were asking for 8.00 for each stud.
And if you do use a hammer you can use a heavy socket/thick piece of metal on both sides the stud plate of the hub to keep all wieght off the bearing when installing studs. Putting them in the freezer will cause the studs to contract whie cold to ease installation.

·
Registered
685 Posts
OK...I just did my pass. side hub. It cost me $215 for a 1 yr replacement from Advanced. I tried pounding the studs in and destroyed the bearing, it literally fell apart in my hand. Took it back and got my free replacement and a new IR 590 ft/lb impact:headbang: and pulled the studs through with it. Hope it helps somebody because I learned the hard way.:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts