Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 5.9L 2500 dodge with 220000 miles on it. it ran perfect well yesterday i was driving down the road and it just shut down on me out of no where there was oil leaking onto the ground it wasn’t a lot but looked like enough and it looked like it was coming from my driver side when i checked my dipstick it was barely below safe but i filled it up 2 days ago i wasn’t overheating i cant remember what my oil pressure was at but this has never happened before any ideas what this could be

·
Premium Member
2,052 Posts
A 23 year old truck just doin’ its thing lol. Only way to see is to get under there and check it out. Could be any number of things on the driver side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know a lot of people with these 12v and they said they have never even heard of this problem i wanna say its my high pressure oil pump but it wouldn’t leak oil if i blew my pump would it?

·
Premium Member
2,052 Posts
A high pressure oil pump?? The factory oil pump is located on the front of the engine inside the gear case on the passenger side. What modifications do you have on this engine?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bone stock the only thing i have done is pulled my fuel plate back and its got a built transmission but thats it and also when it shut down on me it would crank over but wouldn’t start but as soon as i give it gas it started and everything sounds good but then as soon as i let off the gas it dies

·
Premium Member
2,052 Posts
For the starting issue, check your idle RPM. I believe an auto trans. should be somewhere around 800 RPM at idle, in gear, with AC on.

Back to the oil thing, if it’s bone stock, then it can certainly be a bad gasket/seal. Get under the truck and clean it up very good. Then turn the truck on and see whatcha got.

If you’ve been hard on it lately (high RPMS for an extended period of time), you may have just puked some oil out the breather tube which comes down near the starter and the block. Nothing you can do there. Now, if it’s puking oil from that tube at idle, then you may have a nice little project on your hands.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the bad part is it will crank over but wont start but when i crank it over and give it gas it runs intell you let off the gas

·
Premium Member
2,052 Posts
the bad part is it will crank over but wont start but when i crank it over and give it gas it runs intell you let off the gas
And then it dies? Definitely check your idle. See if you can manually hold your RPM at that 800 mark. If you can, then your idle screw on the back of your IP needs to be adjusted.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Replace the fuel filter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i thought anout that but there is more than normal oil coming out so something else had to of broke

·
Registered
179 Posts
The oil is a ?? but I have had some strange thing happen on my 97 when the fuel filter stops working properly.
Are you sure its oil and not brake or steering fluid? I would check oil pan gasket and filler tube entry.

·
Premium Member
2,052 Posts
Until you get under and take a look after it’s been clean, you’ll never know. We can’t tell you from the other end of a phone/computer screen. Possibilities could include, but not limited to (on the driver side): tappet cover gasket, LP, IP, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, vacuum pump/power steering pump.

Like I said, it’s a 23 year old truck. If you’re blowing it out of the vent tube, then you’re piston rings are shot.

Reactions: JHZR2

·
Premium Member
2,052 Posts
Which pump? The one on the side of the block, or the injection pump mounted to the gear case?

The one on the side of the block is your lift pump. That’s a relatively easy/cheap replacement. Just don’t get a cheap one. Geno’s garage and Power Driven Diesel would be solid sources for a lift pump.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the one on the side of the block and im just gonna go buy a built on from industrial injection

·
Registered
179 Posts
Whewwww, that's not a cheep fix for sure. $6000.00

·
Premium Member
2,052 Posts
I think he’s talking about the lift pump. Tops, that should be 200 bucks. I would do PDD because their company started by only doing 12 valve performance parts. Hell, for the past three years of UC see, they finished top three running a mechanically injected truck. I’ll give them my money lol

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
So which pump blew?
The lift pump, looks like this.

Or the Injection pump?? Looks like this.

Both photos curiosity of PDD website.

If its the lift pump, then that's a relativity easy and cheap fix. If its the injection pump, well that is a lot ( like a whole lot) more expensive thing to replace.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
guys its the “INJECTION PUMP” not the lift pump a spring inside the injection pump shot through the side wall on the “INJECTION PUMP” but ya its expensive but im just going to rebuild mine and i got a quote on it and to rebuild it and put it back in is like 2000

·
Premium Member
2,052 Posts
If it shot through the pump, there is no rebuilding. Brutal man. This is the first I have ever heard of a spring shooting through a Bosch P7100 pump.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts