Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 3500 dump truck that all of a sudden lost engine power truck is bone stock with a 5speed 120000 miles on it. Truck is not mine. Fuel filter was change out. The truck lost engine power cant even pull a hill only in 2nd gear. The Watergate rust open took that off wired it close it help a little bit. The truck was to a shop they said it need an injector pump but I am not sold on that. I am thinking theres something wrong with AFC housing or fuel issue. Would the fuel shut off do this?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Absolutely.
I had a weird issue with my purple truck where the fuel solenoid was working fine but the little keyway on the shaft had fallen out so sometimes the truck would struggle to start, then fail to shut down because the little cam piece was slipping on the valve pump shaft.

One time right before I figured this out I was towing a customers little runabout and the truck felt like it was struggling everywhere I went. had my foot to the floor and it was just gutless. I thought the solenoid was failing so I pulled over, unplugged the solenoid and zip tied it up. Still gutless and ran terrible, managed to make it home, couldn't pull the boat up the driveway, truck just had nothing there, imagine my surprise when I cut the zip ties and the truck stayed idling as the solenoid snapped down to the shutdown position.

I'd strongly suggest looking over everything long before replacing the IP

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
Check to be sure the FSS is opening all the way up? When you bled the filter after replacing it did the LP push the fuel out like it was supposed to?

Did you check the turbo shaft? How about the air filter?

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Mine blew the boost reference line off the back of the AFC once and that made the truck just gutless until I figured it out (on the side of the road). Check the little plastic line going to the back of the AFC and make sure its hooked up to a good boost reference.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok guy thanks for the help if you guys think of anything else let me know. The guy wanted 4000 bucks to replace the injection pump. The guy that look at it before said it had 30psi fuel pressure. Turbo spins free and check air filter. I know it's going to be something dum wrong with it. Truck is pretty rusty under the hood.

·
Registered
17,073 Posts
Would the fuel shut off do this?
This happened to me a week ago. A little hard to start, needed pedal to get going, very low power but would free rev to 2600 easily. I carry a spare, this has happened to me before. Fixed in 30 minutes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
I've seen the FSS rusty on the pump end and wouldn't let it open all the way.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wont get to look at it till the weekend. . That will be the first thing I check will be the shut off.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
This happened to me a week ago. A little hard to start, needed pedal to get going, very low power but would free rev to 2600 easily. I carry a spare, this has happened to me before. Fixed in 30 minutes.
I'm waiting till you write your memoirs (a book)...I'll be at the front of the line to buy and get a signed autograph....

·
Registered
17,073 Posts
I'm waiting till you write your memoirs (a book)...I'll be at the front of the line to buy and get a signed autograph....
LOL. One only need to read this forum and the TDR to get my truck history. I'm too lazy to collate it. The FSS broke the morning after we had met for beer.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
If you've experienced multiple broken solenoids, why not go the pull cable route and eliminate it all together? Wouldn't be any need to carry a spare then.

·
Registered
17,073 Posts
If you've experienced multiple broken solenoids, why not go the pull cable route and eliminate it all together? Wouldn't be any need to carry a spare then.
Two in 22 years and almost 1.4 million miles does not constitute "multiple". In case you aren't aware, cables break and fittings come apart. Besides, I don't want to hack up my dash, drill a hole in the firewall, find a route for the cable and end up with a disfigured interior.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Two in 22 years and almost 1.4 million miles does not constitute "multiple". In case you aren't aware, cables break and fittings come apart. Besides, I don't want to hack up my dash, drill a hole in the firewall, find a route for the cable and end up with a disfigured interior.
If the failures are that rare, why do you worry about it enough to carry a spare?
Do you carry spare clutch, spare tie rod ends, spare wheel bearings? All those probably go bad before 22 years and 1.4 million miles.

And yes I'm aware that anything man made can fail, but the way the FSS works, energized on while driving, holding up while against spring pressure the entire time, makes its mean time to failure much lower than a cable that is only used to re-position ,and not under any tension except when actually moving the shutoff lever.

I understand not wanting to hack the dash or disfigure the interior, and if that's the reason fine. Installing non-stock equipment can ruin the look of the interior, but I'd bet you have a trailer brake controller installed somewhere in your interior. And I'd also bet you put enough thought / effort into installing the trailer brake controller that the interior isn't disfigured because of it.

·
Registered
17,073 Posts
If the failures are that rare, why do you worry about it enough to carry a spare?
Do you carry spare clutch, spare tie rod ends, spare wheel bearings? All those probably go bad before 22 years and 1.4 million miles.
I carry spares for parts that have never failed. Since you mention the clutch and tie rod ends you apparently are only asking a rhetorical question, obviously they aren't something you could replace beside the road or in a parking lot with basic hand tools. However, if you really want an answer stop hi-jacking this thread and start a new one. You could title it "What parts do you carry as spares in your truck" or something similar.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I carry spares for parts that have never failed. Since you mention the clutch and tie rod ends you apparently are only asking a rhetorical question, obviously they aren't something you could replace beside the road or in a parking lot with basic hand tools. However, if you really want an answer stop hi-jacking this thread and start a new one. You could title it "What parts do you carry as spares in your truck" or something similar.
Yes, the spares question is rhetorical, I was mainly curious about your thought process/ logic used when selecting which parts to carry as spares. You're right though, this thread is getting off topic.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
My new to me 97 wouldnt shut off. Fss linkage was rusty. Wd40 and a brass brush and some working up and down fixed it.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey I have replace tons of stuff along the highway. Tires, brakes drums, coolant hoses, air lines, starters, lights, brake chambers, and alot of other stuff I cant remeber.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Hey I have replace tons of stuff along the highway. Tires, brakes drums, coolant hoses, air lines, starters, lights, brake chambers, and alot of other stuff I cant remeber.
I remember a picture of a guy changing a motorcycle clutch on the side of the highway in the Australian outback.

There aren't many failures in these trucks that you cant fix on the side of the road.
Especially if you have a fiberglass topper or a big toolbox.

·
Registered
17,073 Posts
Parts like clutches and tie rod ends give plenty of notice that they are wearing out. I carry a lot of items that will stop me cold, especially since I am often hundreds of miles from home. As a matter of fact I do carry spare wheel bearing sets for the front hub, not for the rear axle though. I also have spare wheel bearing sets in my RV and a set for the boat trailer hubs in one of the dry wells of the boat. Hi-jack complete.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Parts like clutches and tie rod ends give plenty of notice that they are wearing out. I carry a lot of items that will stop me cold, especially since I am often hundreds of miles from home. As a matter of fact I do carry spare wheel bearing sets for the front hub, not for the rear axle though. I also have spare wheel bearing sets in my RV and a set for the boat trailer hubs in one of the dry wells of the boat. Hi-jack complete.
Exactly. Most things show warning signs of failure long before they let go. Old trucks talk to you, they make noises, loose power, run poorly ect.

New trucks give you a red check engine light and shut off in the middle of the highway :confused3:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts