Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me why I keep getting air in my right front brake caliper. I already replace this caliper twice thinking I got a bad one the first time. And I replace the master cylinder to. I can bleed the system out and it will be good for about 2 weeks than gets air in it again

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I didnt but if the rubber hose was bad wouldnt I see it leaking?

·
Registered
17,340 Posts
Not necessarily. It's a hose within a hose. Not very expensive and if the fittings are not too rusted less than a one beer job.

Reactions: Rx7man

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live in the salt belt its rusted and I dont even have to look at it to tell its rusted fast lol. Nothing a fire wrench cant take care of.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was told to take the flexible line off the vehicle test. If you can blow through the line with your mouth then it is ok. If not then the line is compressed and needs replacing. You would not see it actually leaking as it is lined. Good luck. Having problems with my 97 3500 and the Hydraulic booster. I Have brakes on my mind as well!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I got the rubber line replace on the pass side. Brakes feel better but truck pulls to the drive side when braking hard. I am going to do driver side soon

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After driving the truck for a few days the pass side caliper went bad again this is the 3rd one in 10000 miles I dont unstand what's going on here anyone have any ideas

·
Registered
17,340 Posts
I'd certainly find a different place to buy calipers.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought them from two different places. I got the new one on there today truck still pulls to the driver side. I am going to adjust the rear brakes. This all start when the factory caliper went bad.

·
Registered
17,340 Posts
If they are rebuilds they could both be Cardone, they sell to everyone.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This one came from napa. This is driving me nuts I dont unstand what's going on dont make any sense to me

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No it's not the pins I grease them up good to make sure. I am at a lost on this one. Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
17,340 Posts
No it's not the pins I grease them up good to make sure. I am at a lost on this one. Thanks for the help guys
Did that include cleaning and lubing the outside edges of the calipers and the surfaces they ride on?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes I did that as well. I am still at a lost on this

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Sounds like you have a loose connection on a line letting air

Also does your truck have 4 wheel or 2 wheel abs.

You should always replace soft lines with calipers and inspect the hard brake line for rust or damage. If it's suspect replace it with a new copper nickel or stainless steel line.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
It sounds like something is out of alignment. Did you replace or lube and assume-It sounds like something is bent or out of alignment....
I'd go back to the big picture...if something can squeeze or push, examine if it can be "of interest"....
What you describe is unusual, so something "unusual" is causing it....what's changed, what's different, whats'....I'm running out of "what if's

·
Registered
23,452 Posts
There is no way "alignment issues" have anything to do with "air in the brakes", same thing for lubricating calipers slides etc. just ain't going to happen.
If actually happening there are limited locations and ways for it to get there:
It is not bled out thoroughly in the first place.
There is a loose fitting, bleeder, or hole in a line, but that would most likely have a visible fluid leak.
Master cylinder is low and pushing air into the system.
Don't know if there is any way for the ABS or hydroboost to insert air into the system, but I doubt it. That could be researched.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
No way for the hydroboost to do it, it's as separate a units as the vacuum booster

Since it's the only thing that hasn't been looked at, I'd look at the proportioning valve.. I don't think it would cause one side to apply harder than the other, but I've had them do funky stuff.. slowly sagging pedal, etc

For the pull to a side, tire pressure, ball joints, tie rods, camber all play a role, but could there be contaminants on one side? Just for cheap troubleshooting, I'd swap the pads from one side to the other and see if it pulls the other way, or maybe lay some 120 grit sandpaper on something flat and rub the pads on it to clean them up

What condition are the discs in? Discs can be had cheap enough resurfacing isn't worth it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.