Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright Guru's, I havent been on this site a lot lately, but i sold my 24v for enough to pay off my loan and buy a beat up 12v. But it runs like no other (of course). BUT, upon buying it i realized it had some stupid wiring coming off of the alternator and going to a little box mounted on the inside fender under the hood.(regulator/rectifier) So, my truck stops charging and i replace the alternator, and wire the truck BACK to OEM. well as you may guess im charging up to 18v when under heavy acceleration. I know the computer originally controls the regulation of voltage to the batteries. I have talked with Jeff Garmon on the phone and we're both on the same page. Replace the PCM. I dont put crap on my vehicles, so that Bull external regulator is going in the trash. I don't mind spending the money for a PCM, but i want to KNOW its the PCM before i buy it. Is there anything else i need to look at before replacing this, or is there a voltage/OHM test for the PCM?:confused013:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
TTT. anyone got any advice? know where to get a good used PCM?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, dont think a 4wd one will work. I may be wrong.

·
Premium Member
16,203 Posts
4w or 2w drive doesn't matter.
Problem could also be a bad wire or poor connection.
Wires inside the looms get chafed and short out.
Connectors, usually at the PCM itself don't always make a good connection again if the PCM is removed.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the previous owner put the external regulator on, and my fender below my battery is rusted out from a blown battery due to over charging. Doing some simple math I'm just guessing he had it all tested and didn't want to buy a PCM.

·
Premium Member
16,203 Posts
I'm just guessing he had it all tested
That's what I've found screws up PCM connections more than anything else, an inexperienced "electrician" enlarging female connectors with meter probes so they no longer make good contact.
Many times they end up replacing the PCM, still have the same problem and end up with two good PCMs.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ill have to pull it and see. You ever heard of anyone running an alternator where everything's internal? A lot of hotrod guys run them. There's just one wire coming out going to the battery. The exciter is internal too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.