Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my truck and it did not have the dash cup holder. I bought a used one at a junk yard but when I went to install it there is a black plastic tab on both side of the dash. What is missing so I can get the part. On the right side it looks like its part of the cab facing panel. The left side has the same black tab but also something behind it. NONE of it looks like metal and I think something is missing! thanks! Garth

·
Registered
230 Posts
Youll have to be innovative with this one or replace the dash. That plastic gets very brittle and those tabs break. I had mine fixed until my GF decided to smack it with her butt one day and broke it again. I got really, really, really, really mad because now i have to replace the dash to get it to work again.....

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Go to genos garage for 50$ they sell a great one that screw to the center console.

Instead of replacing the factory holder im planning on putting a custom set of gauges there instead.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

Reactions: Shadow7g

·
Registered
230 Posts
Go to genos garage for 50$ they sell a great one that screw to the center console.

Instead of replacing the factory holder im planning on putting a custom set of gauges there instead.

GENIUS! Man, that saves my gf from having to help me replace that stupid dash... J/K i wouldnt make her help me... She would have to do it SOLO HAH! I HATE not having a cup holder and ive ALWAYS hated the location of the stocker in the 96

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just ordered the one from Geno's but I would also like to fix the dash one. So you say replace the dash...Do you mean the part on top? or the front panel? Thanks!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just ordered the one from Geno's but I would also like to fix the dash one. So you say replace the dash...Do you mean the part on top? or the front panel? Thanks!
The whole top portion of the dash. Its not worth it to be honest those cup holders are crap anyways.. I like the idea of using that slot for a gauge cluster

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
If you dont HAVE to replace the top dont bother its a pain in the A$$ the front isnt too bad to replace. But yeah i hated the stock location, 1 morning of coffee filled lap too many and i found genos cup holder and it even has a slot for your cell phone. (Not that you should use it while driving) ;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you dont HAVE to replace the top dont bother its a pain in the A$$ the front isnt too bad to replace. But yeah i hated the stock location, 1 morning of coffee filled lap too many and i found genos cup holder and it even has a slot for your cell phone. (Not that you should use it while driving) ;)

When my brother rode with me to work i used to tip his cup of water on him intentionally... point is, those cupholders werent good for anything smaller than the diameter of a bowling ball LOL. 50 bucks is steep for the genos garage one but man thats a much better placement for a cup holder.

·
Banned
1,011 Posts
Well...The top is cracked all to hell...so a new on is probably needed anyways. Or do you think I should get the cheap cover instead?
I put a dash pad... Not the carpet one but a plastic dash pad.... Same color as stock an looks like a new dash :thumbsup:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I put a dash pad... Not the carpet one but a plastic dash pad.... Same color as stock an looks like a new dash :thumbsup:
Got any pics?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
When my brother rode with me to work i used to tip his cup of water on him intentionally... point is, those cupholders werent good for anything smaller than the diameter of a bowling ball LOL. 50 bucks is steep for the genos garage one but man thats a much better placement for a cup holder.
Dont swear me to it might be like 30$ lol idr. Depends if you want a new one theyre like 300$ but they are updated with uv protection so they dont crack.

Im going to get a new one and install it while the windshield is out so i have more room since i need a new windshield anyway

·
Registered
193 Posts
Youll have to be innovative with this one or replace the dash. That plastic gets very brittle and those tabs break. I had mine fixed until my GF decided to smack it with her butt one day and broke it again. I got really, really, really, really mad because now i have to replace the dash to get it to work again.....
I would like to know the "back" story on this....

·
Registered
629 Posts
I made a plastic plate and stuck my brake controller and a set of switches where the factory cup holder used to be. All it did was dump whatever I had in there into the passenger's lap on take off or cornering anyway.

I then took a piece of hardboard (from a clipboard) and stuck a very simple dual adjustable cup holder from Autozone onto the hardboard and slid it under the front edge of the center armrest. Works perfectly, never spill again, and cost was under $8.00.

If I need to fold up the center rest for some reason, I just toss the cupholder behind the seat until I need it again.

For the record, I tried the pontoon boat swivel cup holders on the lower dash first. They SUCK and spill worse than the factory offering. Unless one could find some decently deep ones, they mostly get top heavy and flip the drink out of the holder. Cans work okay with wrappers, but most of the time out on the road one is dealing with fast food cups instead of cans.

·
Registered
230 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts