Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know almost nothing. In general. But I've started down the rabbit hole, here.
These forums have been great. However, It'd be helpful to get specific feedback on my rig/use.

1994 Ram 2500 4x2 automatic
Looking for advice on what reman trany is best for my intended use:
  • I tow 4-6 times per year 8000-9000lbs max for hauls of roughly 3-4 hours, some hills, nothing terribly steep)
  • Otherwise, maybe 2500 miles/year of standard driving (dump runs, HD, wife's to-do list, etc)
Transmission is shot. Needs to be replaced. I was looking at possibly doing some of the "free" boosts to HP to give a little oomph to the rig. But nothing major at this time.
Streetsmart trany quoted me $2k all in (no core charge) which is just about the least cost I could find. Good reviews. Otherwise, I'm doubling my costs to go with a towmaster from firepunk or the superstock from Muldoons orsomething simliar (not to mention laying out the $ for the core charge).

Can I take the streetsmart and just replace a few key components? I'd likely void the warranty. But is there any logic to this?

Local shop quotes me $3900 in parts for a standard trans + single disc billet torque converter and shift kit.

Better to go with Muldoons or Firepunk? (shop is going to add $500 to the install if I supply the parts).

Aside from this, if anyone wants to comment on my basic needs for suspension or brakes, etc I'm open. Heading to those forums next.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Talk to John Muldoon about your needs , uses , goals . He will not over sell.
Go with his recommendation on trans build , valve body and converter .
Do not supply any parts ,,LET HIM DO HIS THING based on what y'all discussed .
It will be a solid unit .
Yes it will cost , but not near as much as a high end big power build .
Good luck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've had my truck about a year and I am giving it a massive overhaul. I am building it to tow but I have not towed as of yet so take this with a grain of salt.

I jumped off the deep end on mine but my tow related upgrades are as follows, Power Driven Diesel rebuild kit with custom valvebody that will allow lockup in any gear and shifting between gears in lockup, should help if there is ever an emergency situation keeping the Pacbrake exhaust brake at max levels right down to first gear. EBC Pads and rotors as well as the larger rear wheel cylinders from Chevy trucks and all new brake lines and hoses just to be safe. A set of Carli long travel airbags to keep things level, and finally a BD Xtrude tranny cooler. Also I decided to add a bunch of upgrades under the hood to keep egt's low, but that is a whole nother can of worms.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts