Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 (350) 5.9 diesel. I HAD a getrag 360 behind it. It is dead. I would like some suggestion of what to put behind it. I will be using the truck to pull some 10,000-12,000 at times (not always). 5 speed, 6 speed or automatic ? I want to make this 1993 350 the BADDEST thing in Louisiana. Help.

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
16,269 Posts
If you are 2Wd that makes it harder for a 6 spd swap. Both 6 spd's that Dodge used do not have any speedo provisions. The NV4500 does.

If you have a $X$ then any of the stick trans that Dodge used can be installed.

BTW :welcome:

Post back and let us know what the truck is.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Definitely put a 4500 in the thing. Best thing I've done to my present '93!! :headbang:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh yea, mine is 2wd. The suggestions (before diesel forum) was to go with the 4500 and forget about the getrag. I want something easy to swap. I good with a wrench but short on time. Outside of finding parts easier, is the 4500 a strong transmission?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Heck, sled pullers are using them, built right , they are a very strong trans.

·
I bleed Diesel
2,508 Posts
if you wanna go fast get a auto outa a 2nd gen. if you wanna get great fuel mileage and be badd get a 5600 6 speed. If you wanna be stock and or not spend alot of bank fix ur trans. Whats wrong with it? what do u have done to your truck.? I have a stock auto and it sucks i am putting in a getrag

·
Registered
252 Posts
In my own personal experience, my getrag has held up just fine over its 250,000 + mile life. Im not sure for certain rather it has been rebuilt in that time but I haven't seen any reciepts to say different. Ive added quite a bit of power to my 91.5 since I got it but the 'rag seems to handle it just fine. nv 4500 seems to be a popular swap for big power though. There are others who are far more experienced with other transmissions though. Who knows...I could be missing out with the getrag

1 - 8 of 8 Posts