Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to look at this truck tomorrow to see about buying the engine and trans. Its a P Pump 5.9 12 valve and appears to be 175 hp according to the engine tag. The trans is an Allison and I will end up sell that. I noticed that I will need to change the engine accessories (at least the fan) to the light truck set up. Is there any reason why I shouldn't consider this engine for a swap in my 1971 Ford F250 highboy project?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

·
Super Moderator
22,467 Posts
I'm going to look at this truck tomorrow to see about buying the engine and trans. Its a P Pump 5.9 12 valve and appears to be 175 hp according to the engine tag. The trans is an Allison and I will end up sell that. I noticed that I will need to change the engine accessories (at least the fan) to the light truck set up. Is there any reason why I shouldn't consider this engine for a swap in my 1971 Ford F250 highboy project?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
There have been people that have used that engine, pretty much same engine that comes in the Dodges.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can anyone confirm that these engines came with lower compression pistons compared to the passenger truck engines? I’ve searched and could not find anything supporting this.

·
Super Moderator
22,467 Posts
Why would you think it would have a lower compression piston when it's used in a truck that's 2 times the size and can haul close to 3 times as much as a Dodge?

There have been people that have used those engines, hopefully they will see this Thread and reply.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why would you think it would have a lower compression piston when it's used in a truck that's 2 times the size and can haul close to 3 times as much as a Dodge?

There have been people that have used those engines, hopefully they will see this Thread and reply.
I read this on Diesel conversion site when looking at their engine mounts. Not sure it’s accurate or not?

·
Super Moderator
22,467 Posts
All 5.9 12v's are the same block so the mounts if it says for a 12v they will work.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Its a P Pump 5.9 12 valve and appears to be 175 hp according to the engine tag.
I'm not a Cummins guru, but I think I've heard in the past that the p-pump is not the same.
Perfectly good setup, runs for ever, but can't be modded in the same fashion.
Do a bit of searching before you commit, just in case it's not what you want.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is what I found which raised my concern.

The pump number is: 908 PFS.6P 110A 120 RS 3290

INDUSTRIAL CUMMINS ENGINES
We offer this information to make you aware there can be many differences between an Industrial Cummins engine vs. a Dodge Cummins engine. The cost and time switching these engines over can be substantial.
12 Valve Industrial Engines
Details that often differ from automotive style engines:
  • injection pump
  • timing cover
  • turbo inlet/outlet
  • throttle linkage & cable
  • lower radiator hose nipple
  • a/c compressor bracket
  • fan support & pulley
  • belt tensioner bracket
  • oil pan & pickup tube
  • exhaust manifold
  • air horn
  • lower compression ratio

·
Super Moderator
22,467 Posts
But I think when they say industrial engine they mean one that isn't used for trucks. It would be like to run pumps or generators.

Yes the one in the Ford may not have the exact same Bosch IP as the Dodges, the exhaust manifolds could have the turbo off center on the manifold. The oil pans could be a front sump, but the pans can be flipped around from what i've heard.

But your using it in a Conversion that isn't going to be a drop in and go. That old of a truck your using probably doesn't have A/C so you don't have to worry about a big HVAC box in the way to work around.

·
Premium Member
3,803 Posts
This is what I found which raised my concern.

The pump number is: 908 PFS.6P 110A 120 RS 3290

INDUSTRIAL CUMMINS ENGINES
We offer this information to make you aware there can be many differences between an Industrial Cummins engine vs. a Dodge Cummins engine. The cost and time switching these engines over can be substantial.
12 Valve Industrial Engines
Details that often differ from automotive style engines:
  • injection pump
  • timing cover
  • turbo inlet/outlet
  • throttle linkage & cable
  • lower radiator hose nipple
  • a/c compressor bracket
  • fan support & pulley
  • belt tensioner bracket
  • oil pan & pickup tube
  • exhaust manifold
  • air horn
  • lower compression ratio
The injection pump is most likely one with 11 mm plungers, they will still make 500+ hp but they won't make big power like a 12 mm pump
They also have the same slow fill cam as the Dodge 160-175 hp pumps
Timing covers are all the same
Not sure what turbo comes on those engines but you have to make up you own inlets and exhaust anyway so it's not a issue
Unless your going to run a Dodge auto trans that needs the kick down linkage that bolts to the side of the injection pump it just a matter of fabbing your own
I'd find the lower hose nipple, AC bracket and belt tensioner bracket for a Dodge
Oil pan will be setup for forward sump, it can be turned around to make it rear sump but the sump is longer than one for a Dodge so there may be a cross member clearance issue.
Rear sump pickups for industrial pans are hard to find, I'd look for a Dodge pan and pickup tube
The exhaust manifold puts the turbo low and to the rear, BUT it is the recommended manifold for the swap your wanting to do
You may be able to use the trucks air horn but if you need a 12v or 24v air horn I can send one to you, I used a aftermarket air horn made by Pusher.
Compression ratio for a 5.9 12v automotive engine runs from 16:1- 16.5:1 on turbo engines and 17:1 on non turbo engines, Your not going to notice a half point compression difference.
Marine engines are the ones that have lower compression
Don't know what trans your planing to use but the rear adapter plate that comes with that engine won't be usable in your app
Unless they won't separate the trans from the engine I'd leave it, it's probably a AT545 or a MT653, You'll probably end up hauling it off for scrap before you find a buyer for one

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you so much for the detailed information! Sounds like this one is still a viable candidate. I did find a complete engine and auto trans form a 96 truck that i’m hoping to go see tomorrow. It’s a bit more money than the F700 deal but it has everything I need including the 2wd auto trans. I’ll let you know what I end up with.

Thank you all again!

·
Super Moderator
22,467 Posts
Just a little advice if you can't here the engine run and if buying it with a trans be able to drive it so that you know they are good be careful. If someone says they can't start the engine it's a lie, all it needs is fuel and the FSS pulled up and it will run all day. Well all day with the radiator anyway.

I knew Destroked would know more then anyone with that engine so I contacted him for assistance.

Reactions: 496blazer

·
Premium Member
3,803 Posts
Check the tag on that 96 engine, I'm thinking that should be the 180 hp engine which will have the much more desirable 12 mm injection pump with the fast fill cam, it'll also have all of the brackets, pulleys and fan hub you'll need for your conversion.
If your 71 doesn't have the extended AC box you can also use the exhaust manifold as it is, on my 04 conversion I flipped the manifold over to elevate the turbo above the box

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Is there any reason why I shouldn't consider this engine for a swap in my 1971 Ford F250 highboy project?
Do consider that the 4-wheel drum axles, divorced model 24 tcase, and primitive steering aren't the most durable under the heavy weight of a cummins. Finding a whole 89-93 W250/350 cummins donor truck would be a worthwhile idea.

Reactions: 9297oldram

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a little advice if you can't here the engine run and if buying it with a trans be able to drive it so that you know they are good be careful. If someone says they can't start the engine it's a lie, all it needs is fuel and the FSS pulled up and it will run all day. Well all day with the radiator anyway.
I will see if I can get him to start it or allow me to. I know it’s not too difficult.
Check the tag on that 96 engine, I'm thinking that should be the 180 hp engine which will have the much more desirable 12 mm injection pump with the fast fill cam, it'll also have all of the brackets, pulleys and fan hub you'll need for your conversion.
If your 71 doesn't have the extended AC box you can also use the exhaust manifold as it is, on my 04 conversion I flipped the manifold over to elevate the turbo above the box
View attachment 931442
I will for sure get the number off of the pump. My truck does have AC, but doesn’t have the big box on the firewall so I should have plenty of room.
Do consider that the 4-wheel drum axles, divorced model 24 tcase, and primitive steering aren't the most durable under the heavy weight of a cummins. Finding a whole 89-93 W250/350 cummins donor truck would be a worthwhile idea.
I’m using a 75 highboy chassis and have a Dana 60/70 for the front and back. I will be using the stock divorced 205 gear driven tcase. I will be installing a 78-79 steering box with crossover steering as well.

Reactions: u2slow
1 - 15 of 15 Posts