Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wont shift in to o/d AUTO.....we recently got a new cummins it wasn't running so we never got to drive it and it needed a new injection pump so we put a new injection pump on and there is a little black box on top and it connects to the throttle it might not be in the same place as it was with the first pump ..... dose it connect to the trans so when it get to the right position it will shift in to over drive :confused013:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
yeah that "little black box" is the tps that tells the trans to shift into and out of OD.
it is also a pos, and replaced with a POT more often then not or a toggle switch...

Test the sensors as described in the link that mikey posted, or run a switch to the od solenoid conector on the trans. Its on the top of the side behind the shift linkage and tv cable arms. it has JUST two wires.
bring your test light you should have 12v to one wire I cant recall right this moment what colour. the other is ground thats what wire you want to tap with a switch, then from switch to ground.
if you dont have power to ethier wire with the truck running somthing else is the culpret, and your od soleniod is most likely good.

drive it to about 40mph and turn the switch on if you get od your in good shape
ch

·
Cowboy AKA Equality State
1,014 Posts
There are other factors, such as CPS (crankshaft position sensor) that are required for the PCM to start up.

Good point :thumbsup: I do know for a fact that if the CPS is toast, then AC and cruise wouldn't work at all either. I had a belt that started to come apart and ripped one of the wires off the sensor. Once replaced, I had both again!

As far as auto trans function goes... I don't know how it affects things, but if the cruise or AC are working I'd be willing to bet that the CPS can be ruled out as a suspect at least.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The trouble with buying a DOA is you don't know what you bought until you try to bring it back to life. I've done a few and the best results I've had is by working backward on a problem. In this case, I'd bypass the OD controls and see if it works on an on/off switch. It comes down to isolating each system, then sections, and finally down to individual components. It can be either time consuming or duh here it is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts