Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving my truck today and it seemed like it was working very hard to get up to 60mph! I just turned the fuel pin and moved the starwheel down half a turn. It had a noticable power increase, and a little more smoke under throttle. Now it just seems dead, I am wondering what I should be running for boost with it. It is bone stock except for the stuff I just listed, I don't have a guage in it yet, but thats this weekends job:woot:

Next question iswhen I turn the fuel screw can I have it running, and go until it runs away, or should I adjust it and then run it? I have had a DD 8v92 run away on me once so I know what its like when it goes.

Another one, my brakes are really spongey, kinda scary when its loaded. When I set the parking brake the pedal got worse, not to mention the park brake didn't hold a damn thing, and now its broke. What should I look for to try and fix this?

Last one for now, I bought a Borgeson shaft for my sloppy steering, coupler is shot, how hard is it to get that thing off the pump input? I tried on my old truck and it was on there good. I want to replce the seal also, is it a real hard job, or is there some thing I should look out for?
Thanks guys, sorry about all the ?'s
DS79

·
1ST GEN
15,573 Posts
Replace the fuel filter. Then go for another drive.

As far as boost. Most of our trucks with no mods are good for 14 to 18 PSI. Turning the fuel pin on mine did very little. It didn't raise the EGt's any at WOT. A tried a DTT fuel pin it droped EGT's at WOT. :rof

Pull the rear drums off and replace all the hardware including the self adjusters. Bypass the RWAL valve. Then see what you have for brakes.

Doing the seal isn't a hard job. Its easyer to do with the box off. But you can do with the box installed. You would need to clean all the dirt off around the box and the wheel well above it. You get any dirt into the box and you got problems. The link below has part #'s in it. I just replaced the seals in my steering box last weekend.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/89-93-powertrain/63222-steering-box-leak.html

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Another way to check your brakes is to take a pair of Vise Grips and , using the flat part on the end of the vise grip so as to not damage the hose, pinch off the rear brake hose. If your pedal is high and solid your problem is down stream of the hose. This eliminates the RWAL as a possible cause, although I don't see how the RWAL would cause a low and spongy pedal. It's most likely sympton would be a high hard pedal but with low rear braking effect.

If that doesn't bring your pedal up, leave that grip where it is and pinch off the front ones one at a time and check there. If they still don't come up, bleed the air out of the system.

If I was going to replace a seal in that steering gear I would remove the gear and reseal the whole thing, including the internal seal on the piston and replace the sector shaft bushing. Not much more work or expense for parts and if you've got one leaking seal the rest aren't far behind.
Steve g

·
Registered
242 Posts
turn the full power screw i think its called and youll get more boost. i sure did. enough that i had to back it back out some because without guages, i dont want to fry my engine. im shopping for guages now! and then a smaller turbo housing and then injectors.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just did the fuel filter two weeks ago so thats fine. I know the tank is clean cuase the one I took off was still mopar branded and had been there a long time. I have one rear that seems to be dragging, so I am starting there, gonna check to make sure they are adjusted and everything moves like it should. Might have to bleed the air out of it if that doesn't help. Once I am done with that I am going to install the gauges and go for ride to get a baseline, then I am going after the fuel screw, and the 366 spring I picked up this week!
DS79

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
When I bought one of my 89's I had one wheel grabbing badly. I took it apart and the shoes were gone. Gone for a long time. Sounded like a semi brake howling. So drums were on my list.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found the RR park brake hanging up. Must have been doing so for a long time, had the shoe cracked and falling off the shoe! Other side was about 1/3 worn out so they were done not to long ago. Still needs to be bled, but not gonna try by myself. Figured out the truck has 4.10 gears so milage is gonna be a little worse then hoped, but it will pull a freakin mountain once I'm done.
DS79

·
Banned
624 Posts
While you are playing around with the brakes, bypass the ABS valve on the frame above the axle. It makes a ton of difference. My brakes were spongy and the truck stopped like crap. I blew a brake line, so I figured I'd just go straight to the hose connection. Best mod I've done to the truck. ('cept for power mods :lol3: )
I couldn't believe the difference in the stopping power. Firm pedal, stops straight and fast.
Don't forget to unplug the ABS controller behind the glove box.
:beer

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am going to have a shop bleed the brakes and do some front end work, s oI will relay that onto them. Thanks for the info though.
DS79

1 - 9 of 9 Posts