Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting this thread today because I need some help with my putting these 3" aluminum spacers on the front spring. I'm probably doing something wrong and I need a tip or two.

Truck is a 1991 D250, 2wd.

So, I have these 3" spacers that go on the bottom of the spring in the front. I'm working on this in Automechanics class in high school. Where I'm getting stuck is removing the shock absorber. I removed the two nuts on the bottom, and when I go to remove the top one, the threads spun with it for a few turns then they didn't, the nut was backing off a decent amount and the threads started spinning again. It kept pissing me off, there is a little square piece at the top and can be held with something such as vice grips. The vice grips aren't holding it though. Everything is pretty much unattached such as the tie rod, and stabilizer bar. So my main problem is removing the front shock absorber. I've been searching for quite awhile on a writeup and can't find anything. If anybody has seen one or has done it and can post some pictures that'd be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I have all the photos to do a write up on this but I just haven't had the time... sorry

the top of the shock should have two nuts stacked on top of each other, hold the bottom one while removing the top, and then like you said, hold that square piece of the strut with whatever you can and remove the lower nut.
I had the best luck getting a friend to hold the square end of the threads with a large wrench, while I pulled the shock to the side to press it into the bushings (hoping that would help stop it from spinning) and went at the nut with a smaller wrench.

If it isn't wanting to come off because of rust or what not, just get out your angle grinder and cut the top off below that nut... most of these truck need new shocks anyway, and thankfully they arent very pricey.
not worth spending hours fighting a shock that probably needs to be replaced anyway.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
If it isn't wanting to come off because of rust or what not, just get out your angle grinder and cut the top off below that nut... most of these truck need new shocks anyway, and thankfully they arent very pricey.
not worth spending hours fighting a shock that probably needs to be replaced anyway.
here is a write up with picture

step 1. cut bolt
step 2. remove shock
step 3. replace shock

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
theres no way a 3 inch spacer will work, unless you are using SUPER worn out springs... I could BARELY get 1 inch spacer with new springs...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts