Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

I have a 91 Cummins w/170,000 miles. Needs a new injector pump. Otherwise runs excellent. Has fairly new injectors and head gasket. The vehicle it sits in is not in great shape. It was hit twice by other people. Transmission is on its way out. I'm considering the sale of the vehicle and am thinking that the engine may be worth more in a sale by itself rather than just selling the truck. Any ideas on this? What would this engine be worth?

Rachel

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Where are you located?

170,000 miles isn't much. What makes us think the injection pump is bad?

With a bad injection pump not running, maybe $1000... If it runs with a bad injection pump, $1400... With an injection pump, running good, you could pull $2000...

Add $1000 to those prices to get the value of the entire truck.

If you're within 1,000 miles to me, add another $1000.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am in Phoenix @ approx the 101/51 transition. The engine starts and runs. The truck is driveable. My husband used it up until about 8 months ago for various work things up until we discovered a fuel leak. It leaks pretty bad at the injector pump. I suppose it could just be a seal but since I'm no injector pump expert, I don't know. I know the transmission is going bad because it really doesn't want to move until it's warmed up. The truck itself is a W350, 4x4 with beefed up leaf springs. It has nearly new front brakes and I believe one rotor. The rears were done about 3 yrs ago, but we've probably only put about 5000 miles on it since then so those are pretty new as well. I've had the truck since 1996 and it's been a really good truck for me, but things have happened to it that we didn't do (i.e. someone broke into it and demolished the front area of the dash all for a really old and used up radio and 2 other people have caused body damage to it) causing it to not be in the greatest of cosmetic condition. It's just sitting out here and I'm thinking that someone could get some use of this really great old engine.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
If it's a visible fuel leak, chances are good that it's just a seal.

If I were advertising it, I would definitely say "has fuel leak" instead of "needs new injection pump".

I've done buisness with these guys before; if you're interested, they could probably fix the fuel leak for cheap or tell you if it's more than a fuel leak. I wouldn't think it'd be much over $100 for most leaks, after they get paid $25 an hour for labor.

Diesel Performance Center Inc
4014 W Van Buren St # 1
Phoenix, AZ 85009
(602) 269-5043‎

If it actually needs a new injection pump (symptoms would be terrible fuel mileage, rough running when hot, stalling when hot), then the cost including labor would be around $1000.

If the transmission is NOT overdrive, that truck has 3.07-ratio axles that are EXTREMELY rare and together could bring in as much as the engine. (If the transmission IS overdrive, and you're parting it out, I will give you $20 for the overdrive controller plug on the side of it.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information. I am familiar w/Diesel Performance as we own a piece of excavation equipment and they're recommended by Empire. The transmission is not an overdrive transmission. Thanks for letting me know about the axles. I do remember my mechanic of many years telling me that the truck has a great rear-end in it. Also, the symptoms do not match. The truck starts a little hard but once it starts, it runs nicely. Maybe we should just invest a little money in it and fix it. My husband really likes the truck. I do too. It's so much simpler (and cheaper) than the 2008 "Blue Tech" Cummins diesel we have. I know it keeps me "blue" in the pocket book. I really appreciate your help. You've given me some great information. Maybe the old truck just got saved from salvage.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
looks like you ain't getting your $20 plug begle.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
looks like you ain't getting your $20 plug begle.
91.5-93 overdrive automatic plugs are harder to find than 89-91 non-overdrive axles...

Good thing I got a couple crimp connectors and some RTV to work. :drool:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Besides, Begle, we'd have to fight over the axle! And I live closer to her. 51 and 202! :)
Sounds like it's filter and maintenance time for the tranny.
If I was Rachel, I'd just keep it running. The new ULSD caused my pump seals to leak. I had the pump rebuilt and continue to do what is needed to keep it on the road.

(I've got a factory AM/FM to go in her dash)

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I got a stock radio too!

And I only spend all my time at ASU, I actually live on Northern off the 17. :T:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts