Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering what symptoms of a bad lift pump are truck is hard to start in the mornings use to fire on half a turn now cranks and cranks and when it does start it idles rough with white smoke then clears up then it'll start fine until you let it sit for awhile ant help would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
20,819 Posts
I would check for air in the fuel filter before trying to start it after it has sat. Cold weather makes old hard fuel lines crack and let air in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's been like that since summer time it does it on the first start up doesn't matter if it's 90 degrees out still cranks and cranks before starting then wants started its fine until truck cools off then hard to start again and I literally just put a new fuel filter on it cause I thought it might have been sucking air cause the fuel filter looked old as heck

·
Premium Member
20,819 Posts
What the fuel filter looks like has nothing to do with the fuel system sucking in air from bad fuel lines. It'll suck air into the fuel system between the LP and fuel tank module. Did you chek for air in the fuel filter by cracking open the bleeder for the filter and manually pumping the LP?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Could be the VE pump itself leaking too... if fuel leaks out, air can get in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes all was good I pressurized the fuel tank and looked for leaks couldn't find any truck has 240,000 miles I was wondering if my ve pump is on its way out the way it loses prime

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Yes all was good I pressurized the fuel tank and looked for leaks couldn't find any truck has 240,000 miles I was wondering if my ve pump is on its way out the way it loses prime
I'd still bet on air ingress. My 6.2L Suburban did exactly what you describe, and that's what it was.

·
Premium Member
20,819 Posts
I'd still bet on air ingress. My 6.2L Suburban did exactly what you describe, and that's what it was.

Same as I said but for some reason he isn't checking for air like I said.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts