Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 1301 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. I've been contemplating this swap for a little while and have been lazy about actually starting it because I already have WAAAY too many projects on my list.

An upcoming move and watching HRDROKN's thread have tempted me to start.

My goal right now is just to get the motor in the truck and hopefully driving. I want to get this done before I have to move. If I have time I will then start with some of the upgrades to the truck. Otherwise the truck will get put on hold until after I move and I get the new shop set up.

Donor Vehicle: '91 (non-intercooled) D250
Swap Vehicle: '74 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4wd

Here's a few teaser pics, but as forewarning - I don't have much time to work on this thing so updates/pics might take a little while

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This truck is SWEEEET and will only become better with time. It will be my towing/camping rig and here is a little run down of the mods it will see.

91 12v Cummins motor with 7.3L intercooler added. Not positive on tranny yet as I can't decide on auto or stick (any ideas?). It has the divorced NP205 t-case already and I do have a gear vendors unti to go in it if I want.
Dana 60 front end - still deciding on 4 link with coil overs or keeping leafs.
I'm thinking corp 14 in the rear and it will definitely be getting 64" chebby rear leafs.
Can't decide on whether or not to cage it but I might.
I already have all power seats out of an '06 Powerjoke ford that I'm putting in.
The inside and underside of both the cab and bed will get Line-X or similar.
The 315/75r16 (35") BFG AT's on the 8 hole alcoas will stay.
I have an autofab drop center fiberglass hood, as well as fiber fenders and bedsides that might go on her as well.

With a list that long I better get my butt in gear:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Had a little time last night and I got the gasser out of the truck. It did kick and scream a bit - apparently it didn't want to come out - but I won in the end! I also figured out the correct size picture to use in photobucket!!!!

Even though I tried to degrease the thing 1st I still have a NASTY, GREASY mess to clean up. This thing is a PIG

This one shows some sort of fiberglass crap they had packed around the gearbox. I'm sure it was there to dissipate heat, but that stuff sucks and was nasty so it left...

Last pics for today - the 2wd gearbox that the P.O. put on. Why in the heck they did this I do not understand. All i know is they made more work for me when I have to put a saginaw box in there.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I started pulling the Cummins out last night. Dang these things have a lot off coolant in them!!!!

No pics as of yet but I am getting excited.

My dilemma is still tranny. I am thinking abotu the NV4500 again, but I am also trying to look at the NP435 that I already have. I have heard there is a bellhousing for these since it is the same pattern (pretty sure ehre) as the T18's they used behind the 4bt in bread trucks.

Does anybody have any info on this? I can't find much of anything online and I want to find out if the motor would have the 10* or so angle like they do with the stock chebby/TH400 adapters.

·
Registered
214 Posts
thats my dream truck right there. well not green though.

i have an 83 ford crewcab with a cummins and i had a 97 crewcab cab i was going to put onit it came up missing where i was storing it.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By trearing it down I have found out that the truck was originally white but I like the green. It looks to be a factory color (from the pain chip board I found) and I kinda like it. The color is not common at all and seems to work very well on the truck. It was sprayed about 10 years ago I think and the clearcoat is all peeling off, so it needs a re-spray but I'm gonna keep it what it is.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd love to have a weekend to do this as I'm SURE it would go faster. I haven't had one yet, and think I am going to pit crew at a race this coming weekend, so won't have one until October.
For now I am slowly but surely trying to plug along at night, but it's dark and a couple hours here, a couple hours there - so it's hard to make any REAL progress.

·
Registered
142 Posts
o i know what you are talkin about im building a riding lawn mower tractor puller with a kabota turbo diesel and i only have about an hour a night to work on it and im tryin to get it done by april for the tulare tractor show i have about 7 months into it now and it isent even close

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Ok - a little reverse progress and some developments. I didn't have to pit crew at the race this weekend so I had Friday night and Saturday to work. I didn't get as much done as I would have liked, but I did get a bunch of the Dodge torn apart. Anybody need parts????

Slightly new development on tranny (and motor)... I think I have decided to go with the NV4500 and in searching I came across one locally. The guy had it built and never ran it. It comes with most everything I need to run it and for a good price so I think I will grab it. The kicker of the deal is I found it by calling on a 94 cummins motor (mine is an early 91) for sale. I called and asked what tranny he had behind the motor. Now the cool part is the motor is a newer, P-pump motor with lower mileage than my current motor. The guy will make me a good deal on the package - so I think I will buy it. Sooooo..... Does anybody need a 1st gen cummins motor with a Chrysler 727 auto tranny for a swap:-drink

A few pics - nothing great - just tearing down the dodge

Oh - I have NEVER found so much change in a truck when tearing it apart. DEFINITELY check under the seat if you have a donor dodge

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so remember those developments I talked about...

I bought a NEW NV4500 and 94 12v motor... The P-pump motor had less mileage than my 1st gen and they supposedly make a bunch more power - so it should be fun.
Speaking of fun - I get to try and get this thing out of the back of the taco by myself tonight. Going to put my ingenuity and cherry picker to the test!

I know the tacoma will be happy to have this thing off it's back - I had a 45 minute drive home with the taco bouncing off the bump stops the whole way. NOT too much fun:rolleyes:

After I get it out - it's time for the x-member and motor mounts!!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Taco's dont handle weight great do they? Especially the ones with LT. Mine wont. :lol3:

1 - 20 of 1301 Posts