Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a all original 1969 chevy 1/2 ton truck 2 wheel drive that im wanting to put a 24v in. anyone on here ever put one in this generation chevy ( 1969 - 1972 ) ? thinking about building a decent pulling truck and thought it would be freakin awesome to have a late model cummins in it.

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Are you getting the the hole truck or just the engine. If you get the hole truck it should be that hard. You just take everthing out of the dodge and out it in the chevy and the nice thing about a 69 is no electicronics to worry about.

are going to p pump the 24v?

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have the 1969 truck, and was thinking of buying the cheapest wrecked truck w/24v that i could find, as long as the motor was okay. motor would be gone through anyway, so...

i think i could do it for $15k-$20k, but could be a little gung ho with at that price.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
The only thing that he would have to do over yours though, is a rear axle and beef up the front suspension. That cummins is gunna be a bit heavier than the old gasser. Great idea though, my dad has a very nice 72 GMC 4x4, 4" lift 33" BFG M/Ts brand new 350ci, turbo 350 trans. I love that truck. Short bed, half ton. Keep us updated.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
will do. ill get some pics of the truck over the weekend, i have to make a trip to the farm. its a long bed 2 wheel drive, which seems to me would make an awesome 2 wheel class pulling rig.

figured i would have to seriously beef up the front suspension due to the weight of the 5.9L compared to the stock 350 thats in it. what is so sweet is that my granddad bought this truck brand new on 1968 as a 1969 release, still has all original interior and all original motor / tranny. 170k miles.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
one thing you might want to consider also is boxing the frame. That frame being as old as it is and what its actually built to hold might not hold up to the weight/torque of a cummins. Especially if you want to make some serious power, I guarantee you will twist that damn frame to pieces.

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
theres a guy that goes to the diesel shows that has a black short bed like what you are talking about that has a 12v in it and its an awesome truck very cool combo with a cummins

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'll try to get the latest model 5.9L that i can get.
boxing the frame is mos def on the build sheet!
your right, a hopped up cummins will twist the frame with no issue.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
man, this has got me thinking. I have a 56 Chevy Bel-Air 2 door station wagon at home, with a 265ci and a 2 speed hydraglide auto waiting to be built. How cool would that be with a common rail and a built 48re?? Sorry to thread jack, dont mind me.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
are you kidding ? a 2 door wagon with a coal rollin 6 banger in it?
love it. you should turn it into a puller as well.

that would be freakin awesome.

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would like to know if what I would need to put a 1993 cummins 5.9 litre out of a school bus into a 1969 chevy 3/4 ton four wheel drive pickup. I am looking for a place to get adapter plates for cummins to turbo 400, and engine mounts.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
man your feeding the trolls ! i posted this back in 2008 ! LOL

unfortunately i havent done squat with that truck yet except
put a car cover on it ...

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
HAHAHA thats about what always happens with these kinda projects. Just wait untill your 80yrs old and see whats done... My buddys dad has been "restoring" a 69 gto and in 12 years he has it painted and seats in it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1969 c20 with high hp 5.9 cummins

i have a all original 1969 chevy 1/2 ton truck 2 wheel drive that im wanting to put a 24v in. anyone on here ever put one in this generation chevy ( 1969 - 1972 ) ? thinking about building a decent pulling truck and thought it would be freakin awesome to have a late model cummins in it.
yes i have done that, email me for pictures. [email protected]
cheers steve

1 - 20 of 20 Posts