Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 150 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
so the Muncie is diesel friendly?
Ha! Just saw this one and oldram's follow-up where he mentioned using a 465 with a 4BT. I think it's a perfect transmission for a smaller crawler with a low-revving engine, but not for a big 6 cylinder that you expect to drive every day on the highway. You have to jump through too many hoops to make it work, and it's not the best solution for the bigger engine. It's tough to find mating components and the gearing is wrong. Shoulda thought of those things myself late last night, but I was half asleep. And more than a little defensive about it, I think, having mated a Muncie 465 to a 4-cylinder diesel. But yeah, you have to jump through hoops to make it work. Clearing the same hoops won't get you a good application fit with the bigger engine. There's too much torque, and you still need to figure out the gearing issues.

Reactions: HardRain

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
If it comes with the trans then it should have the adapter, bellhousing and clutch setup. You do know that it uses a hydraulic slave and master cylinder don't you? But you might be able to convert it to the linkage type like you have now if your able to fabricate.

The Elecronic controlled 24v's require a ECM and all the other necessary electronics to make them run. There are people that have used them in Conversions.
I didn’t know that, I’ll look into it, did you run into the same problem with your k5?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Ha! Just saw this one and oldram's follow-up where he mentioned using a 465 with a 4BT. I think it's a perfect transmission for a smaller crawler with a low-revving engine, but not for a big 6 cylinder that you expect to drive every day on the highway. You have to jump through too many hoops to make it work, and it's not the best solution for the bigger engine. It's tough to find mating components and the gearing is wrong. Shoulda thought of those things myself late last night, but I was half asleep. And more than a little defensive about it, I think, having mated a Muncie 465 to a 4-cylinder diesel. But yeah, you have to jump through hoops to make it work. Clearing the same hoops won't get you a good application fit with the bigger engine. There's too much torque, and you still need to figure out the gearing issues.
Thanks for the Info, but with the Getrag 360, the first gear is a granny correct? So I would still have the gearing to pull a stump out of the ground or idle over a stump right?

·
Super Moderator
21,757 Posts
Thanks for the Info, but with the Getrag 360, the first gear is a granny correct? So I would still have the gearing to pull a stump out of the ground or idle over a stump right?
Yes it's a granny also and maybe if you was to race a turtle you might win.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Is this SM465 the trans you have?. '65 would have been the SM420 which isnt as strong.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Is this SM465 the trans you have?. '65 would have been the SM420 which isnt as strong.
Yes, the truck had a 420 in it, but we’re putting a np205 transfer case in the truck since the Rockwell that was in it is not the best for highway use, I have two np205s, one divorce mount, and one hooked up to a sm465, that’s why I was wondering about the 465

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
The 4BT setup could work. You need tall gears and large tires for the highway though. The clutch is probably similar to a stock 12" from a 2ndgen.

I've made a couple longer highway trips without OD. (5th got too noisy for my liking). With 35's and 3.54 the engine is hummin... got my HG leaking externally. Enough of that, I changed the 5spd promptly.

·
Super Moderator
21,757 Posts
I didn’t know that, I’ll look into it, did you run into the same problem with your k5?
No my Blazer I used the 47re auto trans from my old 97 Dodge.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
As for clutch hydraulics... 60-62? chev were hydraulic. But the combo brake/clutch master isn't appropriate if you upgrade brakes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I can tell you the 2wd Getrag is ~29" (including the bellhousing) to ujoint center. Engine with rear plate is 35" to the front of the crank damper. Maybe see what you have room for in front of your divorced t-case.

Your D44 front axle with drums, thin tubes, closed knuckles, and tiny 260x ujoints will suffer under the cummins weight. Even a later 44 or 10b would fare better.
Should I seriously worry about that? Or is it something I can deal with until an axel swap? Like could I run the risk of the wheels breaking off?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Bolts to firewall. Common reservoir. One plunger for brakes, one plunger for clutch.

On the one hand you say you don't want to aggressively change anything.... but here we go with power brakes

The best thing about the '60-70 trucks is you can make all the better parts of the 73-87 squarebodies fit really easy, and even 1stgen dodge stuff isn't a big leap to adapt. (Mostly GM/saginaw anyway).

I would go to at least 3/4ton 8lug diffs to start on any Cummins build. I don't trust an old 1/2ton axle like that with Cummins weight. I'm not testing it out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I think it's self explanatory from the pictures. It's not for power brakes.
did you see my question on the axles
Bolts to firewall. Common reservoir. One plunger for brakes, one plunger for clutch.

On the one hand you say you don't want to aggressively change anything.... but here we go with power brakes

The best thing about the '60-70 trucks is you can make all the better parts of the 73-87 squarebodies fit really easy, and even 1stgen dodge stuff isn't a big leap to adapt. (Mostly GM/saginaw anyway).

I would go to at least 3/4ton 8lug diffs to start on any Cummins build. I don't trust an old 1/2ton axle like that with Cummins weight. I'm not testing it out.
makes sense

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Update, the 5.9 with the Getrag sold, completely my fault, but there is a 4bt with a nv4500 and np205 for sale as well, but the 4bt is way more expensive compared to the 6bt I was looking at
No my Blazer I used the 47re auto trans from my old 97 Dodge.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·

Update, the 5.9 with the Getrag sold, completely my fault, but there is a 4bt with a nv4500 and np205 for sale as well, but the 4bt is way more expensive compared to the 6bt I was looking at

·
Super Moderator
21,757 Posts
Oh yea the 4bt is like gold they are hard to find and expensive, i've been looking for about 3 years for one.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Oh yea the 4bt is like gold they are hard to find and expensive, i've been looking for about 3 years for one.
It’s actually in a 1960-66 4x4 Chevy too, a k10, which actually makes me want to buy it more, but he wants 6k, I don’t need the transfer case but I think the transmission is not divorced to the transfer case, can I just buy the engine and trans, and then hook a divorced np205 to it?

41 - 60 of 150 Posts