Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 150 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,757 Posts
You can tell that truck isn't from the North.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
You can tell that truck isn't from the North.
my dad got it from a guy who drove it in California, had a 327 from a 1965 corvette in it, and you could tell he never took it off-road, because he slapped some headers on there and they directly interfered with the front driveshaft

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I can tell you the 2wd Getrag is ~29" (including the bellhousing) to ujoint center. Engine with rear plate is 35" to the front of the crank damper. Maybe see what you have room for in front of your divorced t-case.

Your D44 front axle with drums, thin tubes, closed knuckles, and tiny 260x ujoints will suffer under the cummins weight. Even a later 44 or 10b would fare better.

Reactions: HardRain

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I can tell you the 2wd Getrag is ~29" from the bellhousing to ujoint center. Engine with rear plate is 35" to the front of the crank damper. Maybe see what you have room for in front of your divorced t-case.

Your D44 front axle with drums, thin tubes, closed knuckles, and tiny 260x ujoints will suffer under the cummins weight. Even a later 44 or 10b would fare better.
does the Cummins weigh that much more than a sbc? If I do it, I’ll definitely upgrade axles down the road, because I would like to be able to pull bigger things when needed.

·
Super Moderator
21,757 Posts
does the Cummins weigh that much more than a sbc? If I do it, I’ll definitely upgrade axles down the road, because I would like to be able to pull bigger things when needed.
The Cummins weights around 1,000 lbs.

·
Super Moderator
21,757 Posts
What makes the engine weigh so much more than something like a sbc? That’s a lot heavier than 600 or so with a sbc
They are built to go a Million miles, so you don't skimp on it.

·
Super Moderator
21,757 Posts
With your k5, is the frame original? I could make some motor mounts for the Cummins so it’ll fit on the original frame correct?
It's the original I just boxed it so it would be stronger, there are Companies that sell Conversion parts. Here's my build if your interested.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It's the original I just boxed it so it would be stronger, there are Companies that sell Conversion parts. Here's my build if your interested.

That thing is awesome dude, definitely gonna come to you for more questions, the frame on the k10 seems kinda stout, the k20 frames were the same back then, just longer, and bigger Dana 44hd axles

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I moved this to Conversion section.

You would need a 4x4 Getrag in order to use a transfercase, unless you get a divorced transfercase. Don't use a sm465 transmission it's not a very diesel friendly engine. $3,500 sounds like a pretty good price for a low mile truck.

You won't need to replace any parts on the Cummins for it to work.
Being careful not to hijack this thread, I wondered if you might elaborate for the OP -- and for the rest of us -- why you say that the Muncie 465 isn't very diesel friendly.

·
Super Moderator
21,757 Posts
Being careful not to hijack this thread, I wondered if you might elaborate for the OP -- and for the rest of us -- why you say that the Muncie 465 isn't very diesel friendly.
One thing it's only a 4 speed.

Reactions: gerlbaum

·
Registered
570 Posts
That's a mechanical engine 98 and down are the mechanical Cummins 98.5 up are the electronic. That's alot of money though for just a engine, also I would want to hear it run before buying.
That looks like a VE pumped engine, which is the first round of the mechanicals, found in the 1st gen trucks (89-93). Good stuff! I miss my VE...easier to tinker with than the p pumpers, i think.

Reactions: 9297oldram

·
Super Moderator
21,757 Posts
so the Muncie is diesel friendly?
The main thing i've found is you can't get a Conversion adapter and the right size flywheel in order to have a 13" clutch that they should have. I did find where they could be used for a 4bt with a special flywheel, which is probably for a smaller clutch.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
That looks like a VE pumped engine, which is the first round of the mechanicals, found in the 1st gen trucks (89-93). Good stuff! I miss my VE...easier to tinker with than the p pumpers, i think.
So that would he easier to install compared to a electronic fuel Injection one?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
The main thing i've found is you can't get a Conversion adapter and the right size flywheel in order to have a 13" clutch that they should have. I did find where they could be used for a 4bt with a special flywheel, which is probably for a smaller clutch.
I see, the engine comes with the Getrag, and I would much rather have the 5th gear overdrive, just wondering about the 465

·
Super Moderator
21,757 Posts
I see, the engine comes with the Getrag, and I would much rather have the 5th gear overdrive, just wondering about the 465
If it comes with the trans then it should have the adapter, bellhousing and clutch setup. You do know that it uses a hydraulic slave and master cylinder don't you? But you might be able to convert it to the linkage type like you have now if your able to fabricate.

The Elecronic controlled 24v's require a ECM and all the other necessary electronics to make them run. There are people that have used them in Conversions.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
One thing it's only a 4 speed.
Yep, with pretty much a useless nonsynchro first gear .... unless you're crawling or pulling up stumps or trying to drive up walls for Youtube, and only the later units with the weaker case have a 1:1 4th gear ratio, so highway use with reasonable revs is problematical. A low revving diesel with an older 465 is pretty much Unimog gearing. OK, let me figure out the rest, now that I'm awake.

(2) Bellhousings to mate with anything other than a GM engine are extremely uncommon, and most of them need to have their pilot bore opened up. OP would likely need a billet adapter plate and maybe a flywheel spindle adapter too.

(3) The 465 means a 465 ft-lb rated input torque. So any Ram CTD is going to be on the edge of capacity.

(4) The older 10-spline outputs can be kinda weak.

One of my trucks runs an SM465 with a billet SAE flywheel housing adapter behind an Isuzu 4BD2TC. Even with the injection pump dialed up and a slightly bigger turbo, I don't believe it's putting out more than 180 hp and 400 ft-lb. The output shaft has been upgraded to 32 splines. The gearbox that splits torque to the two rear axles has an overdrive mode driving one axle only. Which pretty much means I addressed all four issues just to make it work for a much smaller engine.

So... yeah. You're totally right. It's not 6BT/5.9 friendly at all.

21 - 40 of 150 Posts