Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I need some advice/help with a project I’m interested in. I have a 1965 Chevy k10 and I found what I think is a good deal on a 12 valve 5.9 with a Getrag 360, plus the rear end with leaf springs (I don’t want the rear end). They’re asking $3500, the drivetrain supposedly has 80k miles. I think the Getrag is a 2wd, will that work with a np 205? Would it be better to use a sm465 that I already have? What parts would I most likely have to replace on the engine? I’m definitely not looking to add hp to the engine at first, maybe later. I would love some general advice, I’m sure there’s many more questions I need to ask.

·
Super Moderator
21,778 Posts
I moved this to Conversion section.

You would need a 4x4 Getrag in order to use a transfercase, unless you get a divorced transfercase. Don't use a sm465 transmission it's not a very diesel friendly engine. $3,500 sounds like a pretty good price for a low mile truck.

You won't need to replace any parts on the Cummins for it to work.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
There may be a chance you can run 2wd Getrag with the existing divorced tcase - but its certainly not ideal. The extra engine weight and torque is significant.

The better scenario for your truck is to find a similar 4wd dodge donor and use all its HD drivetrain. You could also consider a body swap - it may be less work, and its a stronger frame.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

You would need a 4x4 Getrag in order to use a transfercase, unless you get a divorced transfercase. Don't use a sm465 transmission it's not a very diesel friendly engine. $3,500 sounds like a pretty good price for a low mile truck.

Thanks for replying, I do have a divorced np205, the reason I was asking about the sm465 is because I already have one with a non divorced np205 on it, have you Cummins swapped any older gm vehicles? Because if so, you could be a big help.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There may be a chance you can run 2wd Getrag with the existing divorced tcase - but its certainly not ideal. The extra engine weight and torque is significant.

The better scenario for your truck is to find a similar 4wd dodge donor and use all its HD drivetrain. You could also consider a body swap - it may be less work, and its a stronger frame.
I’m restoring this with my dad and he wants to keep it semi original, improving the truck in places it didn’t do very well, so I wanna keep the original frame, the Cummins along with the 5 speed Getrag would allow me to cruise on the highway better, probably more fuel efficient than the old sbc, and will sound and look cool 😎

·
Super Moderator
21,778 Posts
Thanks for replying, I do have a divorced np205, the reason I was asking about the sm465 is because I already have one with a non divorced np205 on it, have you Cummins swapped any older gm vehicles? Because if so, you could be a big help.
I have a 84 K5 Blazer with as much of my old 97 Dodge I could use.

·
Super Moderator
21,778 Posts
I’m restoring this with my dad and he wants to keep it semi original, improving the truck in places it didn’t do very well, so I wanna keep the original frame, the Cummins along with the 5 speed Getrag would allow me to cruise on the highway better, probably more fuel efficient than the old sbc, and will sound and look cool 😎
If you was to put your body on the Dodge frame not very many people would know it.

·
Super Moderator
21,778 Posts
That’s awesome, do you have an opinion on the Getrag? If I don’t beat on it, it should be okay right?
If you don't beat on it and don't plan on towing with it it's a good trans, but there are other better transmissions. You will want a Dana 70 rear axle like what comes in the Dodge Diesels or at least a Dana 60.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you don't beat on it and don't plan on towing with it it's a good trans, but there are other better transmissions. You will want a Dana 70 rear axle like what comes in the Dodge Diesels or at least a Dana 60.
yea, I was looking at that, this truck has Dana 44s on it, I could probably find some used axles to swap under it, that would have to be done later on

·
Super Moderator
21,778 Posts
That's a mechanical engine 98 and down are the mechanical Cummins 98.5 up are the electronic. That's alot of money though for just a engine, also I would want to hear it run before buying.

·
Super Moderator
21,778 Posts
yea, I was looking at that, this truck has Dana 44s on it, I could probably find some used axles to swap under it, that would have to be done later on
I know I Member that has Dana 44's under his and has alot of miles on it so they can be used in a pinch.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's a mechanical engine 98 and down are the mechanical Cummins 98.5 up are the electronic. That's alot of money though for just a engine, also I would want to hear it run before buying.
Yea, what would you pay for something like that? Just engine and the Getrag?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
The Getrag is fine. The 2wd version and a divorced 205 would work well in a longbed truck. You still want 8-lug axles and better springs that you find in at least a 3/4-ton truck - preferably 1-ton - and 3.54 ratio. That's why it makes sense to get the 4wd donor... you get all that in the package.

Whole old/beat 2wd cummins trucks around here are priced at half that ad. Heck, I drive one daily. To me, "rat rod material" says he's really proud of what he's selling.

·
Super Moderator
21,778 Posts
Probably around $2,500 and must hear it run, i've seen complete trucks for $3,500. Post a picture of your Chevy and just do a build on this Thread when you find a Donor.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know I Member that has Dana 44's under his and has alot of miles on it so they can be used in a pinch.
axles are geared 3.73, and I’ll have decently big wheels on there, 33 inch tires, are those specs fine for a Cummins swap? Plus the Getrag 5 speed will be nice with overdrive, I can cruise better on the highway.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Yea, what would you pay for something like that? Just engine and the Getrag?
$1500 CAD tops... but they all have 300-400k kilometers, and I'm good with that .

EDIT: I blew the spider gears out of my '66 C10 with a 250ci and a 4spd... so I would not expect the 12b to last. I run a D60 with 30spl alloys on my cummins driver. Its sufficient.

·
Super Moderator
21,778 Posts
axles are geared 3.73, and I’ll have decently big wheels on there, 33 inch tires, are those specs fine for a Cummins swap? Plus the Getrag 5 speed will be nice with overdrive, I can cruise better on the highway.
You should be ok with that, just remember with the Cummins it's the torque that will make the damage.

1 - 20 of 193 Posts