Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I don't know how projects are accepted on here. If its inappropriate please just delete it. I started out with a 51 GMC pickup body I found a 2000 Cummins with a 2002 5.9 the guy that sold it to me lied about the engine being good. But I parted that truck out and got all of my money back and still have the frame that I plan on using for the build.

I bought another 98 Cummins chassis with a sweet running engine so that put the project back on track. I have the 2000 stripped to the frame I am going to use the axles from the 98 it has 410 gears the 2000 had 353s. I gathered up a five speed setup the trans needs rebuilt I have the parts ordered should be here next week. If I use the pickup front fenders I will have to move the engine back 12 inches to get the wheel wells to line up and still have room up front for the radiator and innercooler I plan to cut the motor mounts out of the spair frame (that truck was t-boned ant the frame is bent anyway). Probably have to do some custom work on the firewall as well. I bought a pickup box the right vintage but I starting to think I want a flatbed.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Nice. Projects are permitted, a mod will likely move it to the proper section is all.

Reactions: 9297oldram

·
Super Moderator
23,827 Posts
We like projects, I moved this to the Conversion Section where you will find alot of projects.

Just keep adding to this thread with your progress and when you have time look at some of the other Members Conversions.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I should add we have a ‘53 GMC as well, but half ton. Since it’s Canadian built it’s not a 100 series, they labelled it a 9314 for some reason.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so I don't know why I said it was a 53 GMC its a 51. But anyway I have made a little progress on it. I stripped the axles and suspension out from the bent frame and got them bolted up under the shortbox xcab frame I pulled the cab off the 51 frame and started mock up. I got the cab set on the new frame its just sitting on blocks so I can get the wheels centered over the tire and get the height right I think it looks about right. So now I will start fabbing body mounts then start working on moving the engine mount. But progress was made.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,827 Posts
I changed the year for you. If that's the tires your using then it looks like the cab is sitting ok.

Reactions: StealthDiesel

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I changed the year for you. If that's the tires your using then it looks like the cab is sitting ok.
I had to raise the cab about 4" to get the tires to clear the front fenders and to get the grill to fit. I think I will be able to trim the Dodge body mounts and use the rubber isolaters from the Dodge should make that old tin can cab a lot quieter.:cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I got some time to work on the old Cummins powered stove bolts this weekend. I got some body mounts installed I cant reach the truck with the wire feed so I just tacked them on with the stick I will finish gusseting and weld them out when I pull the cab and get the frame in the garage. I shot myself in the foot when I removed the cab it was raining and cold so I just cut the rear cab mount. Then had to spend an hour fitting and welding them back together Am I the only dumb ass that does stupid crap like this(first picture)? I also got some pictures of the mounts all installed. Next up will be getting the engine set where it need to be and get the frame mounts fabbed up. It looks like I will have room enough for the intercooler up front But I will probably end up moving the radiator behind the cab. I will be adding more pics and the project progresses.
Wood Automotive tire Door Gas Metal
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Bumper
Wood Gas Bumper Tints and shades Automotive exterior
Wood Gas Fixture Metal Composite material
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
I got some time to work on the old Cummins powered stove bolts this weekend. I got some body mounts installed I cant reach the truck with the wire feed so I just tacked them on with the stick I will finish gusseting and weld them out when I pull the cab and get the frame in the garage. I shot myself in the food when I removed the cab it was raining and cold so I just cut the rear cab mount. Then had to spend an hour fitting and welding them back together Am I the only dumb ass that does stupid crap like this(first picture)? I also got some pictures of the mounts all installed. Next up will be getting the engine set where it need to be and get the frame mounts fabbed up. It looks like I will have room enough for the intercooler up front But I will probably end up moving the radiator behind the cab. I will be adding more pics and the project progresses. View attachment 937458 View attachment 937459 View attachment 937460 View attachment 937461 View attachment 937462 View attachment 937463 View attachment 937464
I'll be following your build, cool project.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got some work done on the stove bolts. It now has a engine under the hood. Wow what a battle its almost like the original designers of the old GMC didn't intend on anyone doing a Cummins re-power.:rolleyes: I had to trim up the inner fenders a little more its defiantly a tight fit. Probably should have moved the fire wall back but I thick it will work. I have heard that the earlier 12 valves had a 1" or so shorter inner cooler does anyone know if this is true? That would sure fit nicer behind the grill.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,827 Posts
The 1st Gen's IC is smaller, if you don't have room for a IC it's not really necessary. Unless your going to be doing some heavy towing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts