Cummins Diesel Forum banner

19.5 Wheel and tires

13K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Deepc 
#1 ·
well gonna break down and get some vision 81's and hankook dh01 265/70/19.5. found a lot of info on wheels tires etc. But i was wanting to know if anyone had any problem with ball joint wear or any thing negative about running such a heavy setup. i smoked my factory ball joints at 63000 with 17x10 alum wheels and 315/70/17 bfg all terrains any input on anything you think is helpful would be appreciated thanks

#3 ·
I have a set of the Vision 181 dually heavy hauler wheels in 19.5, I am also going to run the 265-70-19.5 tires. While addition of xtra weight may be a concern, I have been running alum wheels with 315's without any problems with ball joints and I really do not expect them to increase ball joint wear or cause any issues. I have a friend who has been rolling down the road for 110K miles with the 265's on his 19.5's and he has experienced no problems.

hunting guy - http://www.duallywheels4u.com/ is where I got my vision 19.5 wheels, they have several direct bolt-up 19.5/8-6.5 wheels to choose from, and the prices are better than everyone elses that I have seen.

CD

#4 ·
was gonna get the wheels from ricksontruckparts.com but found the same wheels in california with tires mounted, balanced, lug nuts, center caps, and shipped for $2000 they are 8 lug 19.5's not 10 lugs the wheels are vision heavy haulers they are singles since i have a SRW 3500

#5 ·
i was never really concerned with ball joints myself until i noticed that mine where toast at 63000 never really had a set where out that fast so a shock to me. however those where the stock ones and when i removed them they looked kinda chintzy. maybe the hot desert weather combined with no grease fittings got to them, or those probably just got made on a friday. went with moogs pretty happy so far. and glad to hear no trouble with your friends truck makes me feel a little easier about my choice

#6 ·
Hey, I am running the exact setup. I bought the rims with bald tires last year, then had my tire guy put on the hankook dh01 265's. These are a great tire. I have had no trouble with them at all. Everyone likes the look of the truck with the single axle rear and tall skinny tires. I know it might not be in your future from where you are located but I live in upstate ny. We get a ton of snow and these tires are awesome in this kind of weather. I have not noticed any kind of ball joint issues. or any other problem from running a heavier tire so far. I must say it is the best investment I have ever done to my truck. After 25k miles the tires still look like they were put on this morning with no real tire wear!!!! My last set of mudders were done at 27k. I will always run 19.5's on my cummins!

#7 ·
i am glad to here about the snow i am originally from around the knoxville area in TN but the military has brung me here to vegas for 5+ long years after a 2 year spell in japan. however only 3 weeks till i become MR again pretty dang excited. well as excited as a soon to be unemployed man with a wife and kids can be. At least i will be home , and that place has been thrashed with snow i know my bfg all terrains lacked a lot to be desired every time i was in the snow. Nice to know that i am gonna get something that is the best of all worlds, looks, mileage, towing, and traction. for only a few bucks more than the tires i have now. this almost sounds to good to be true

#8 ·
The only problem that people have is balancing. You have to go to a truck tire place you cant take your truck to a tire place like walmart because they do not have the equipment to balance these large tires correctly. I would find a place that has a hunter match balance machine when you replace your tires in the future then you will not have any trouble.

#12 ·
this is incorrect for 19.5's with stock lug pattern. any shop with
a gsp9700 balance machine can do it. anyplace from carx to
firestone auto has these and can balance 19.5's up to a 285/70
which is what i ran before doing the srw --> drw swap.

Hunter GSP9700 Wheel vibration Control System solves wheel vibration and tire pull problems that balancers and aligners can?t fix

i was also in the same boat as cd. i had no ball joint wear, good
alignment and brakes. the extra weight may decrease the life
of the suspension parts, but they're already junk that you'd need
to replace anyway.

#9 ·
I ran the 19.5's for about 4 years & the weight will take a toll on your front end & brakes. I just installed new hubs, ball joints, axle u-joints in the front end & pads, rotors all around. I went back with 295's on my factory wheels. Good luck to you

#11 ·
What mileage did your truck have on it when you started driving on the 19.5's, and at what mileage did you do your complete rebuild?

There are plenty of people having to do the same complete rebuild in your model year truck. They have run stock tires/wheels from day one. There are also plenty of people who are barely making it to 60K miles or so and having to do a ball joint replacement, again all stock vehicles. There are also plenty of people who have run big meat since their trucks were new and have 100K+ miles without any problems whatsoever.

Now, I have no idea what makes all these different groups of people have different results, but, sure seems like it to me that there is no one thing that causes wear, etc. Lots of assumptions about this/that as a culpret to a problem or increased wear, shorter lifespan, etc of factory parts.

I just recently at 57K needed new tires, I also did an alignment check at that time, my ball joints have little to no wear, my alignment was dead on, an my old tires wore evenly-I do rotate and check air pressure regularly. I was running BFG AT KO 315-70-17s - I do not anticipate any different results going to 19.5's other than longer time periods between tire purchases.

CD

#10 ·
from my understanding, dodge's have the worst front ends that ive seen yet. i have an AAM, aslo my unlce as the Dana. we both replaced our front parts. Ujoints, Hubs, Bearings in housing and seals. from working in the woods we only get about 40-50k on the front ends, our trucks carry weight and we use them as work trucks. it cost's us both $2k to rebuild the front ends, on his 9812v and on my 05qclb. he has already went through the front end on his 07 6.7 and it just hit 100k

im thinking of getting the 19.5's with 285/70's on my daily driver.

#16 ·
haha ok sounds fair. I would just hate to see a fellow 19.5 srw get pissed because the guy at the tire place turned his truck into vibrating soil compactor at 45 mph :)

#17 ·
yeah no kidding. i went to the discount tire i
do biz with asking about some 19.5's and tires.
they were uber quick to point out that they
couldnt mount, balance, or warranty any part
of it, even though they COULD order it. on the
balance part of it though, i had gcr tire center
do a quick balance on mine. one tire took no
weight, and the other three took 2 oz's, so they
were fairly good from the start.

#18 ·
holy smokes there where only a few posts last time i was on now 2 pages crazy. anyways thanks for the info on the balance i am already real familiar with all of that stuff worked at a tire shop in the summers when i was in school. as far as the ball joints go i had about 58 59k on my truck before i went home for vacation 2k there 2k back and a little drive time while there all around 5k all was good before i left the last 500 miles of the trip noticed the inners of the tire started cupping by the time i got home jacked the truck up had a good 1 to 2 inches of play all around so who knows

#19 ·
in my opinion i think that they took a pretty good platform and loaded it down with a lot of cheap parts built by the lowest bidder.. thats probably why most of these suspension parts are good for some and a nightmare for others. i mean really the only way you could screw up a straight axle is to surround it with chintzy crap

#20 ·
I'm also from Upstate NY.... currently working in Louisiana .... will be driving back and forth alot. I am thinking of switching to the 19.5" rims and tires.(hoping to get more miles out of them) How many more miles do you think I could expect to get on the bigger tires?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.