Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be using these wheels on a '16 2500:
Set 4 19.5" Vision 81 Heavy Hauler Black Wheels 19.5x7.5 8x6.5 0mm 81A-9781MB0

I am wondering what size tires to get. These tires were recommended by a tire shop, but are over $400 each:
TOYO M920 Radial Tire - 245/70R19.5 133N

There are also these, with higher load rating but wider and taller:
TOYO M608Z Radial Tire - 285/70R19.5 145L

Any suggestions on size and brand of tire? I do not want to cheap out, insofar as I am buying these for safety. I have the regular 3.42 diff.

I tried searching but the search function won't recognize/include 19.5" in the search!

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Got leveling kit. If not you probably should go with the 245 at 33.6" tall. The 285 is 35.2". There are also 265 at 34.3" available.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I was running the Michelin xds2 in a 245/70 19.5 on my 2010 srw 3500. They were great tires.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hauling maximum weight limit and high pin weight! I do measure for safety, and am unsure exactly what max load on axles will be but have the limit of the wheels anyway.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Kinda overkill and going to ride rougher than sh!t. Stock wheels and load range E tires will haul anything that you can legally do with you 2500.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Kinda overkill and going to ride rougher than sh!t. Stock wheels and load range E tires will haul anything that you can legally do with you 2500.
Assuming he doesn't live in a state that allows him to register his truck above the GVWR. If he does and he did register it that way, he should go with a combo that is higher than the GAWR of his truck.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
Assuming he doesn't live in a state that allows him to register his truck above the GVWR. If he does and he did register it that way, he should go with a combo that is higher than the GAWR of his truck.
What state will let you register above the GVWR ?

·
Registered
14,617 Posts
Seems way ridiculous to put those on a 2500, or even a 3500.

Absolutely terrible ride, and they will weigh so much more than stock, will tax the brakes on the truck in addition.

·
Registered
64 Posts
What state will let you register above the GVWR ?
I know for a fact that Idaho will, I was given that option when I initially registered my 2500 and still have the option to switch my registration over. Beyond that, you just need to make sure you're in compliance with DOT regulations, regulations for 10,000+ GVWR trucks where you're at, and that GAWR will take the place of GVWR. Also, be prepared to pay higher insurance rates.

I believe that's going to be the case for most mid western states, I'm pretty sure it's the case for Texas.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
I know for a fact that Idaho will, I was given that option when I initially registered my 2500 and still have the option to switch my registration over. Beyond that, you just need to make sure you're in compliance with DOT regulations, regulations for 10,000+ GVWR trucks where you're at, and that GAWR will take the place of GVWR. Also, be prepared to pay higher insurance rates.

I believe that's going to be the case for most mid western states, I'm pretty sure it's the case for Texas.
News to me. In PA. you can only buy a plate for the gross that the vehicle manufacture states.

·
Registered
64 Posts
News to me. In PA. you can only buy a plate for the gross that the vehicle manufacture states.
Here, you can uprate or downrate.

Registration costs go up if you uprate, and down if you downrate. But the savings from downrating a 3500 doesn't make sense, whereas they do with a 2500.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I ran the M608Z tires on 19.5” rickson steelies on my 06 3500 DRW with 3.73 gears. I can tell you for a fact two things: those tires are nigh on indestructible and wear like iron, and I wouldn’t tow heavy with them with taller gears than the 3.73s unless you are VERY comfortable with SLOWING DOWN. With an ~18k enclosed 28’ race car trailer, I was on the ragged edge of practical capability (EGT vs load) and felt the weight more than with stock diameter tires. Rode and pulled like a dream otherwise, but mind that they’re G rated mud-terrain tires so they’re gonna be noisier than highway or all-terrain tires. I had them on for over 30k (sold the truck due to knee surgery and couldn’t drive a man-pedal for 6 mos), rotated every 5k-7500 mi, and noticed no significant wear. Ended up selling them to another member here, with whom I’m still friends to this day. Critically if you’re looking long term, the 608Z’s can be re-treaded legally for private use, but not for commercial use (if you’re gonna run hotshot with them) I think.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Most tires on stock 20" are only 3600-3800 lbs rating. My truck can put more than that on the rear axle, so that is why I want to go with heavier tires. And these are basically strictly for towing purposes, with the only goal being added safety against blowouts. I have a 44' gooseneck enclosed car hauler. It is mostly for peace of mind!

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,297 Posts
I ran 19.5's on my srw 3rd gen years back when I was towing alot. ran a g rated bridgestone m209 something or other. they were hella heavy. rode fine. it taxed the truck. I had the nv56 with 3.73 gears. got close to 100k miles on that set.

·
P2609 Fanatic
2,097 Posts
Here, you can uprate or downrate.

Registration costs go up if you uprate, and down if you downrate. But the savings from downrating a 3500 doesn't make sense, whereas they do with a 2500.
Exactly. (y)
My SRW 3500 has a GVWR of 11,700 lb and i registered it at 12,300 so "if" i get put on a scale i’m DOT legal.
A utility i used to work for frequently would register their trucks way over GVWR for reasons of DOT legality. You have to pay for the weight you’re putting on the state’s roads.

Item two...
The maximum load rating of any SRW wheel Ram makes is 3500 pounds (or less). Thus buying stronger tires actually buys you nothing Unless you upgrade the wheels too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A utility i used to work for frequently would register their trucks way over GVWR for reasons of DOT legality. You have to pay for the weight you’re putting on the state’s roads.
Registering with your state doesn't automatically put you in DOT compliance though. Many states require DOT numbers for combined weight ratings over 10K and it's not a recreational use. Granted, it's not widely enforced and DOT numbers are free to get, at least up to this point.

Here, I could register my truck for the ~11K the GAWR is good for, but then I would technically need to slap some numbers on the side of my truck every time I used it for work.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
Exactly. (y)
My SRW 3500 has a GVWR of 11,700 lb and i registered it at 12,300 so "if" i get put on a scale i’m DOT legal.

Item two...
The maximum load rating of any SRW wheel Ram makes is 3500 pounds (or less). Thus buying stronger tires actually buys you nothing Unless you upgrade the wheels too.
Iwonder what the difference is, my 17 3500 SRW has a 12,300 GVWR. How is yours 11,700 ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Iwonder what the difference is, my 17 3500 SRW has a 12,300 GVWR. How is yours 11,700 ?
Ram sells the 3500 with 3 different GVWRs. Upgrading to diesel usually upgrades you to the middle GVWR option as the minimum, and other options might force you into one over the other.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts