Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this yet? I really dont like the looks of the Air Dam. Ive heard mixed opinions on the negative impact in terms of aerodynamics. But my main concern is that it seems like it will leave a lot of the lower radiator exposed to road debris. And there's the added possibility that the valence is required for proper air channeling to cool the powertrain and help with Engine air intake. I removed the valence on my last truck but the radiator was smaller and therefor wasnt exposed post removal

·
Registered
153 Posts
I know this is an older thread but i was able to replace the air damn on my 2014 with one from a Powerwagon. It made for a much cleaner look and fit perfectly. You might want to go park next to a new PW and see if the same will work.

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
And here I have been extending mine, in an effort to improve aerodynamics.
Does it look better extended? Absolutely not, but I can't see that while driving. I can see my fuel gauge, though.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does it look better extended? Absolutely not, but I can't see that while driving. I can see my fuel gauge, though.
Cant argue against money. I see you have a '19 3500 6.4. What Make is that?

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
It's a Ram, 'britt. They've been called that since '10, when they decided to make it a separate brand from Dodge.

I don't list anything but Rams in my signature, or it would be way too long.
Oh, and I don't list anything I no longer own, either, or that list would also be very long.

But in all fairness, that '19 isn't mine, which is why it says "...in the household." Anyway, have you really never heard of a 6.4 Ram?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a Ram, 'britt. They've been called that since '10, when they decided to make it a separate brand from Dodge.

I don't list anything but Rams in my signature, or it would be way too long.
Oh, and I don't list anything I no longer own, either, or that list would also be very long.

But in all fairness, that '19 isn't mine, which is why it says "...in the household." Anyway, have you really never heard of a 6.4 Ram?
oooooh. It must be a gas motor. Sorry. I always kind of forget about those guys.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just like I could see the damage when I halfway ripped my stock lower airdam off on a rock because it hangs low like a big scoop.

Jimmy, just because someone does things differently than you do, doesn't make your way better.

The guy asked about removing his valence, not adding to it.

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
They're not hard to remove, but are there for a reason. Their shape is already a compromise between efficiency and approach angle.

When I extended mine, it was "plowing snow" at times, so I had to drive accordingly. Including steering around rocks.
But it was easy enough to remove and install as needed, just like the factory one.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They're not hard to remove, but are there for a reason. Their shape is already a compromise between efficiency and approach angle.

When I extended mine, it was "plowing snow" at times, so I had to drive accordingly. Including steering around rocks.
But it was easy enough to remove and install as needed, just like the factory one.
I realize that I will lose some aerodynamics. If that was the only drawback I would do it anyways. My main concern is exposing the lower front portion of the radiator/coolers.

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
The mileage loss may be more than you expect, but be that as it may.

That air dam is relatively flimsy plastic, but if you're concerned about the charge air cooler and the stuff behind it, you may want to build a frame of sorts and put a metal mesh in it to help protect the heat exchangers.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I had the grill removed yesterday to remove the active air shutters. You can’t really remove that air dam without having an issue with debris hitting the intercooler. It would also look terrible since the intercooler shroud would be exposed.

If you want a shorter look, maybe a 2018 air dam would fit? No idea if it would, but you can try. If all else fails, your only option would be to trim the air dam with a saw. :eek:

Honestly, I would leave it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had the grill removed yesterday to remove the active air shutters. You can’t really remove that air dam without having an issue with debris hitting the intercooler. It would also look terrible since the intercooler shroud would be exposed.

If you want a shorter look, maybe a 2018 air dam would fit? No idea if it would, but you can try. If all else fails, your only option would be to trim the air dam with a saw. :eek:

Honestly, I would leave it.
Yeah. I think I'm gonna leave it. At some point, I'll shell out good coin for an aftermarket bumper with winch/grill guard. It will probably cost an arm and a leg to retain the sensors. If I get it from a good company, they will figure out the aerodynamics and make it look cleaner.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'd bet money that a PW air damn will bolt right on. It looks like the top edge is exactly the same and it will be about 3 inches less on the bottom.

I did this on my 2014 Cummins truck and it covers the entire intercooler just barely and looks significantly better on the truck.

I bought it from Rock Auto for like $75. The 2019 one's aren't available yet but they will be soon, I'd think.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd bet money that a PW air damn will bolt right on. It looks like the top edge is exactly the same and it will be about 3 inches less on the bottom.

I did this on my 2014 Cummins truck and it covers the entire intercooler just barely and looks significantly better on the truck.

I bought it from Rock Auto for like $75. The 2019 one's aren't available yet but they will be soon, I'd think.
A google search for PW air dam isnt bringing anything up. Is PW short for something?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are the air dams on a 2wd shorter? I just came over from a 17 super duty. I switched the air dam to a 2wd one that was 4 inches shorter. But I'm not sure if the ram 2wd are shorter

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are the air dams on a 2wd shorter? I just came over from a 17 super duty. I switched the air dam to a 2wd one that was 4 inches shorter. But I'm not sure if the ram 2wd are shorter
I dont know, but it wouldnt surprise me. There are less components to protect hanging down on the 2WD and one would assume there would be less slop coming toward the front end.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts

did all the bumper lines match up when you changed to the PW airdam?
looking to do this on my '18. the valances look to have similar lines, but I can't tell for sure
thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts