Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many have swapped thier 190* for a 180* t-stat? Do you like it and do you notice any difference in performance? I'm thinking of swapping mine this summer since I have all my junk deleted. I also have to do extra driving when It's cold out to get my 190* to open up.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
I had to change mine today wish I had gotten a 180. It did run pretty good with the 190 stuck open though. Well until we got this freakishly cold weather and the truck would never warm up decided I was sick of freezing my a$$ off everywhere I went so I changed it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
We run 180s in our Jeeps in the summer to help the cooling and to fool the computer into allowing more spark advance and fuel therefore more power. I could see some of the same cooling benefits with the Cummins. But just like the old days, you have to change back for the cold months or you freeze.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
No you wouldn't freeze. Heater will blow warm with the gauge below 140. You wouldn't want anything less than a 180 on a diesel they run better when they get warmed up. But I think mine did do a little better on gas when it was running a little cooler do to my sticking thermostat.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason behind changing to a 180 is because that is what the 5.9's run I believe. Since all the emissions are deleted I figured it wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
503 Posts
No you wouldn't freeze. Heater will blow warm with the gauge below 140. You wouldn't want anything less than a 180 on a diesel they run better when they get warmed up. But I think mine did do a little better on gas when it was running a little cooler do to my sticking thermostat.
OK, "freeze" is obviously a figure of speech. Let's put it this way, in this part of the world, running a 180 t-stat you won't get enough heat to be comfortable in the cab in the winter. At anything below -20C it will be down right cold in there. Even with a winter front this will be the case.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I run the 180* t-stat in the summer and when i tow the temp is about 20* cooler then i swap back in the stocker in the winter. Seems to work for where i live.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts