Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read some earlier posts and yet have some questions from the twist and turns of the comments.

I have an 18 2500 6.7L 4x4 with payload capacity of 2360.

If I have a fifth wheel with a 2550 pin weight. Is there a safe way to pull this trailer?

I have seen replace springs with 3500 set.

Add a Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System

Add an air bag system.

I am not looking to replace the 2500. We are looking to do some long trips with the fifth wheel to some areas that have mountain passes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Most people go the route of adding an air bag system of some type to their trucks to help level the load and improve handling.

Legally speaking you can't do anything that's going to make it legal to tow over what your sticker says.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If it makes you feel better you should still be under the rear axle weight rating which I believe is 6500lbs.

I had a similar setup on my 2015. I used air bags and it worked great. I tried Timbrens and felt the ride was harsh.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Like mentioned above. Your over legal gvwr at that. My 16’ 2500 can’t take more than 1600 lbs hutch weighg and I’m over. But still under gawr. I pull my gooseneck with skid steer and around 2400 lb hitch weight(plus or minus) my truck almost sits level. Maybe a bit lower on tail. No extras. Tows fine.

You can’t take 3500 springs because we have coils and they have leafs. A stiffer spring will make the ride rougher.

If 2500 hitch weight is what you’ll run max, I’d say enjoy. If your adding more then add bags.

·
Registered
251 Posts
You could rebuild every component of that truck related to the suspension with the best stuff possible and because it left the factory as a 2500 from Ram it will never legally be able to exceed 10,000 pounds by one ounce.

Practically speaking is a different story as to whether it is safe. Ram has chosen to give these trucks a 10k lb weight GVWR because that is a magic number for registration and sometimes insurance that if you do not exceed then it is less expensive. There are those that feel you are safe if you don’t exceed the rear axle weight rating (I am in that camp) and others that think you are playing with fire and if you have an accident your insurance will deny the claim and you will automatically be at fault or get stopped by the authorities and a big fat ticket is waiting.

As you may know your payload capacity is solely based on the 10,000 lb weight capacity less the weight of your empty truck and it has nothing to do with the actual physical capabilities of your truck. Believe it or not a light duty truck will very likely have a greater payload capacity than your 2500 because the curb weight of that truck is much less than your truck but likely has the same 10,000 lb GVWR.

This is one of the most heavily debated topics in this site and many strong opinions too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
Believe it or not a light duty truck will very likely have a greater payload capacity than your 2500 because the curb weight of that truck is much less than your truck but likely has the same 10,000 lb GVWR.
I was with you, until that sentence. Our 2500s and 3500s are light duty, regardless of what the badge on the door says.
Next would be medium duty (4500 and 5500), and then there are actual heavy duty trucks.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I was with you, until that sentence. Our 2500s and 3500s are light duty, regardless of what the badge on the door says.
Next would be medium duty (4500 and 5500), and then there are actual heavy duty trucks.
Jimmy, yes you are technically correct but I think most consumers consider 3/4 and 1 ton trucks in a different category than the 1/2 ton or 1500 category which I was calling a “light duty”. All the manufacturers call these “heavy duty” or “super duty” like Ford does. My point being these 3/4 ton trucks that most of us are discussing can have a technically lower payload capacity than their much less capable 1/2 ton siblings even though we all know they would likely perform better with a heavier payload in the real world.

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
Ooh, how dare you call 1/2-tons (Ecodiesels to be specific) "less capable"??
You've obviously not read about their superiority when it comes to towing, and most everything else.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ooh, how dare you call 1/2-tons (Ecodiesels to be specific) "less capable"??
You've obviously not read about their superiority when it comes to towing, and most everything else.
My bad, forget that as long as the engine is a diesel then it can tow nearly anything regardless of displacement or power. And if you can add eco to the name then it is unlimited! .

I think the ecodiesel improves the suspension and tranny too!

Not positive but I think I saw a freight liner towing three 52’ trailers and it had a 2.0 liter ecodiesel under the hood.

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
Have you not noticed all the used Class 8 tractors sitting on the Ram dealers lots?
They are all traded in on Ecodiesels.

If Ram offered optional air brake hookups on the 1500s, the transportation industry as we know it would change instantly.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I have read some earlier posts and yet have some questions from the twist and turns of the comments.

I have an 18 2500 6.7L 4x4 with payload capacity of 2360.

If I have a fifth wheel with a 2550 pin weight. Is there a safe way to pull this trailer?

I have seen replace springs with 3500 set.

Add a Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System

Add an air bag system.

I am not looking to replace the 2500. We are looking to do some long trips with the fifth wheel to some areas that have mountain passes.
Have you loaded up the 5er and truck and looked at it?? Have a friend that tows a 38' Big Horn, and tows with a 16 2500, it sat nicely without bags, he added bags before a cross country trip and said didn't feel a difference.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don’t go over your tire weight capacity and add Timbrens or airbags if it squats too much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts