Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a diesel shop near me tell me I needed to potentially replace my serpentine belt, idler, tensioner soon. He said it looked ribbed and here’s a picture below. My question is, do I need to focus on this ASAP? The truck drives fine, nothing slips, no noise from it or anything.

thanks!
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Bumper

·
Registered
2018 Ram ctd crew cab shortbed 4x4
18 Posts
I like to have a belt in any and all of my vehicles. None go very far without the alternator and water pump(a guy does need to know how to put one on).

As far as the idler and tensioner go, I have vehicles with well over 200k with no failure and others that spit the tensioner and/or the idler with less than 100k.

Kinda have to trust your guy if you don't know, but fear is a great motivator.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
There is actually a tool for measuring the wear on a serpentine belt. It measures the remaining depth of the grooves and the accompanying literature describes wear patterns and what requires replacement and when. Check with Gates and/ or Goodyear. Not that your guy doesn’t know his business, but as a reference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts