Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did a "thing" and bought an 18 3500, and of course it's become my pet project.

Current plan is to build it to around 750hp, with compounds. Truck has 30k miles

-already has stage 5 Aisin from Randys
-4" dp-back exhaust with emissions delete
-likely S475 over stock VGT
-90HP DDP
-CTT tuning via EZLynk
-103lb springs and pushrods
-ARP 625s
-few other things like Methanol injection (I've got a kit sitting unused)

Doing my research it seems like connecting rods are a common issue. I'll be changing them regardless of opinion. Likely going with either the Wagler Street rods or Carillos.

How feasible is it to pull the oil pan with the truck still in chassis? I don't really have any other reason to pull the entire engine and don't really want to tear into the front clip on a brand new truck just quite yet. I was going to do injectors/studs/springs all at the same time with head still on, but figured if I can get the pan off I may as well roll out con rods at the same time.

Any suggestions? I've done this on my 99 several times, but not familiar with how it would work on a 4th gen, or even if it's possible.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just did a pan on an 06 with the engine in. Was able to just rotate the engine towards the drivers side enough for it to come out. I just did a quick google search and it kind of appears that its the same solution for the 4th gens. as far as changing the rods through the bottom. I'm sure, you might be able to remove the cooling nozzles and get the piston down far enough but I'm not sure about the wrist pin interfering with the rod next to it, or the crank?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have clarified. I'll be pulling the head and removing the rods through the top, not sure how its even possible from the bottom.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ok I was going to say I thought I read you'll be replacing springs, injectors, and doing studs with the head on. I didn't think it was possible but I thought well there are plenty of people in this world that are smarter than me.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No one else wants to chime in on this?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts