Cummins Diesel Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
2 tires, SRW, Tradesman 4x4 Crew cab max axle rating is 6380 WITHOUT a box, 6000 with a box, with 17" standard and 18" as an upgrade. Now look at a Laramie or anything else in the same configuration, max axle rating is 7k with 18" wheels standard and 20's as an upgrade. The ONLY configurations in the Tradesman follow the 17" tire ratings of 3195 lbs per tire. The only truck that gets full ratings is the DRW in a 3500 with 17" rims because it takes 4 tires to meet spec on 17's.

The gas engines are following the same ratings as the diesel tradesman in the 2500. That is right there on the Ram build site and the towing capacities info. The typical 3195 17" tire is BARELY adequate under the front end of these trucks with light towing, the weight beats the tire to death and breaks down the sidewalls because they are NOT heavy enough. I have ruined and had trouble with more of these light tires on the fronts than rears, which is atypical. These problems disappear when a 3600 lb rated tires is used. The typical 17" tire is barely adequate in the best of conditions, just the way it is.

They must be so because he saw a web page and everyone knows if it is one the internet it has to be true.
That is right there on the Ram build site and the towing capacities info.
The above is proof-positive regarding how well you speak out of both sides of your assssssss.

All models of 19 tradesman have two different 17" wheels available on stock base and on option, plus 18's and 20's. Build one and see.

You might double check that a little deeper., That truck is only rated at 6k on the rear axle, just like all the gassers. NOT 6.5k rear axle like all CC and QC trucks which the OP has.

Per DOT 17" tires have a max rating of 3195 lbs per tire, not adequate for a HD diesel application. The Tradesman 2500 Reg Cab is a gasser platform with a diesel, a bastardization to cater to a market niche.

17's only come on the DRW's because they have 4 tires to meet the ratings, essentially gasser platform for anything less than a 3500 DRW platform. Really, a 245\70 tire is doughnut, on a diesel it is inadequate for the engine weight. While they might fit the OP's truck, not a good application choice.
17" tires are under rated for these trucks and lack a broad choice of weights\sizes as 18's or 20's. 17's are now gasser only rims.
"Plenty of people" they have no clue what they are doing when it comes to tires and wheels. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for a combination of parts that comes up short, nor the decision to purchase.

Considering that there is ONLY the one SRW configuration that uses that specific rim size AND the down graded ratings on that ONE platform, pretty much defines the niche market for those that buy a truck with a diesel engine rather than a diesel truck.

Actually buying a set of aftermarket wheels in a size that is so limited in selection and capability adds another dimension of desperation to the whole process. Definitely a "special" group as was previously pointed out. LOL!
2 tires, SRW, Tradesman 4x4 Crew cab max axle rating is 6380 WITHOUT a box, 6000 with a box, with 17" standard and 18" as an upgrade. Now look at a Laramie or anything else in the same configuration, max axle rating is 7k with 18" wheels standard and 20's as an upgrade. The ONLY configurations in the Tradesman follow the 17" tire ratings of 3195 lbs per tire. The only truck that gets full ratings is the DRW in a 3500 with 17" rims because it takes 4 tires to meet spec on 17's.

The gas engines are following the same ratings as the diesel tradesman in the 2500. That is right there on the Ram build site and the towing capacities info. The typical 3195 17" tire is BARELY adequate under the front end of these trucks with light towing, the weight beats the tire to death and breaks down the sidewalls because they are NOT heavy enough. I have ruined and had trouble with more of these light tires on the fronts than rears, which is atypical. These problems disappear when a 3600 lb rated tires is used. The typical 17" tire is barely adequate in the best of conditions, just the way it is.
Your story seems to have changed. Can you get 17s on other than the 2500 reg cab? Does that make all tradesman 2500s bastardized gasser platforms?

Are you saying it is the 10.5? Are you saying the ram site and dealer site are wrong? They list 17" as standard equipment for any 2500 configuration. Is that wrong? With 4 tires rated at 3195 that give a 12780 limit which is over the 10k rating put on 2500s. So you could run 4 3195 and have room to spare.

You didnt answer this at all. Is it the 11.5 or the 10.5? All I could find showed 10.5 was behind the hemi and 11.5 was behind the diesel. Same 9.25 up front. Same axles used since 03 in every truck srw and drw up until to 11.8 came out for some trucks. What did all those guys do with 17s?

I was shooting for a retro look wheel/tire combo on my ‘18 SRW 3500 and I wanted 17” wheels with approximately 35” tires. I also needed a rating that would at least match the factory requirements. I found one 17” tire and no 17” wheels that provided the ratings I was comfortable with as I tow a lot of heavy equipment.

Trust me, I get annoyed with idiotic modifications that are only for show (stanced out Rams with 24" wheels... this would be a great example of a downgrade), or a lift that is greater than 3" to obtain the minimal tire clearance necessary.

the AEV 17" wheels have a 4100 lb load rating. Yes, the constraint is the tires.. but I do not do maxed out towing, just an Airstream. We do a lot of off-roading, desert racing, exploring... and driving. I am willing to "de-rate" my truck to maximize utility for MY specific mission. That is the primary variable/context that is missing here - intended use.

You are absolutely right, tire choice is critical, you would also be right if the mission was hauling heavy loads.

For me, personally, that's not it. I also have a 2500, not a 3500. If I were running a 3500 and heavy loads - I would for sure stick to 18" +

3195 per 17” tire would handle a gvwr of 12780 lbs exceeding the gvwr of a 2020 3500 by over a 1000lbs. A 3500 with full payload is very close to 50/50 weight distribution. The AAM 9.25 axle gvwr is 5600lbs. Most quality cast 17” wheels are at least 3500lbs with forged exceeding 5000lbs. My Toyo 37/1250/17 RT’s are rated at 3550 and my Walker beadlocks are rated at 3800.

Your front 9.25 front axle will bend before your 17” light truck tires and wheels explode. The 2020 3500 payload is limited by the front axle.

3500s as far as I can find come standard with 18s and dont have the option for 17s.
Duallys still can be ordered with 17” wheels.

The AEVs come to mind for a decently rated 17” wheel.

Still doesn’t help with parking one though.

Glad we reopened this can of worms.

Reactions: gsbrockman
Duallys still can be ordered with 17” wheels.

Still doesn’t help with parking one though.

Glad we reopened this can of worms.
I don't think 3500 DRWs can be had with anything but 17s.

Although, that could be because load ratings are inconsequential since they can't be parked, and therefore not loaded.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
.....................................wow.

I didn't realize this would stir up so much .
Honestly, I forgot all about this post until today.

So, which side do you believe now, the ones that have done it, or those who say they won't fit?

Reactions: 7492
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.