Cummins Diesel Forum banner

17s on a 2019?

9K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  dblack21 
#1 ·
Will 17s clear the brakes on a 2019? Weighing wheel options, and I am considering some 17s. I know 18s are a factory option, and they haven't done 17s in a few years, that's why I am asking.

#5 ·
#10 ·
how someone is arguing with what came on a truck from the factory is beyond understanding.
Nobody is arguing that. However, someone is claiming he knows better than Dodge when it comes to rating truck configurations, tires sizes and such. They must be so because he saw a web page and everyone knows if it is one the internet it has to be true.

#11 · (Edited)
These are the stock 18” steelies off my 2019 gas Tradesman. That gap between the rim and caliper is approximately 3/8”... an aftermarket 17” MIGHT fit... clearance will vary....

Here’s some questions: Does your diesel have bigger brakes? Does the base 2500 in which 17” rims come stock have smaller calipers or specific rims design with clearance?

These are questions you need to be asking your tire/rim dealer.

Attachments

#13 ·
"The Tradesman 2500 Reg Cab is a gasser platform with a diesel, a bastardization to cater to a market niche."

Sweet I am special... I literally joined this site just to make sure y'all know I am special. I have a 2019 Tradesman regular cab with a cummins! look at me I am a market niche! all praise me !?!?

lololol

BTW it came with 17"rims.
I was planning on putting on new aftermarket rims 17's or 18's with 35's or 37's.
And will do a regear. was doing some research and came across this post/site.

#15 ·
"Plenty of people" they have no clue what they are doing when it comes to tires and wheels. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for a combination of parts that comes up short, nor the decision to purchase.

Considering that there is ONLY the one SRW configuration that uses that specific rim size AND the down graded ratings on that ONE platform, pretty much defines the niche market for those that buy a truck with a diesel engine rather than a diesel truck.

Actually buying a set of aftermarket wheels in a size that is so limited in selection and capability adds another dimension of desperation to the whole process. Definitely a "special" group as was previously pointed out. LOL!

#16 ·
You should probably call Ram and let then know they are doing it wrong. All 2500 tradesman trucks come standard with 17" wheels. Regardless of engine. You can get a 17" wheel with over a 4000# rating which as pointed out is more than either axle rating.

#17 ·
You probably should spend a little more time looking at what Dodge specifications are before posting erroneous information. The only SRW truck that specs the 17" rims is the tradesman regular cab with a 6k lb rear axle rating, which incidentally matches the gas truck ratings.

Per DOT max rating of a 17" is 3195 lbs, most of the tires available in 17" are rated at that with the selection of heavier rated tires rather lean as I pointed out.

To summarize, most 17" tires are rated at 3195 lbs, are not offered as an option on the heavier axle rated trucks, lack a wide selection sizes that meet a decent spec, and are basically not a good match match for a heavy front end truck like a diesel. The questions begs why try to support the obvious downgrade in capacity and buy aftermarket rims in a less than adequate size UNLESS the knowledge and experience is lacking? The answer is really pretty simple.

#18 ·
I guess rams website is wrong. As is the dealer website. And if the srw reg cab uses the 11.5 I dont care what they rate it at. It's the same axle that's been used from 2003?
Toyo which is a very popular tire has 17" rim tires rated up to at least 3968# .

Yes you have less options in a 17" but you have options.

#19 ·
What is wrong? What EXACTLY do you disagree with on the Ram and dealer web? If it used the 11.5? Don't you KNOW for sure what axle it uses? At then end of the day does it matter if Dodge only rates the rear axle to 6k because the tires that come on are only rated for a little over 6K? Last one I saw clearly said 3195 lbs per tire weight rated, standard cab long bed tradesman. Are they actually an 11.5 or did they slip the 105.s in there because it was never meant to be rated at the higher numbers? It is more than a little disingenuous to start asking these question AFTER expounding on the virtues of something you now admit you do not know for sure. :(

Can you actually GET Toyo tires with a higher weight rating and not run into issues with the ratio of section width to sidewall causing problems? Never seen a 17" that would be rated at 4k in a decent size, have to go to 18's or 20's to get the size weight rating. Why buy a substandard rated tire when knowing full well it is inadequate?

If 17" rims are so great why do the bulk of the trucks NOT use them? Hmmmm, food for thought?

#20 ·
Are you saying it is the 10.5? Are you saying the ram site and dealer site are wrong? They list 17" as standard equipment for any 2500 configuration. Is that wrong? With 4 tires rated at 3195 that give a 12780 limit which is over the 10k rating put on 2500s. So you could run 4 3195 and have room to spare.

#21 ·
2 tires, SRW, Tradesman 4x4 Crew cab max axle rating is 6380 WITHOUT a box, 6000 with a box, with 17" standard and 18" as an upgrade. Now look at a Laramie or anything else in the same configuration, max axle rating is 7k with 18" wheels standard and 20's as an upgrade. The ONLY configurations in the Tradesman follow the 17" tire ratings of 3195 lbs per tire. The only truck that gets full ratings is the DRW in a 3500 with 17" rims because it takes 4 tires to meet spec on 17's.

The gas engines are following the same ratings as the diesel tradesman in the 2500. That is right there on the Ram build site and the towing capacities info. The typical 3195 17" tire is BARELY adequate under the front end of these trucks with light towing, the weight beats the tire to death and breaks down the sidewalls because they are NOT heavy enough. I have ruined and had trouble with more of these light tires on the fronts than rears, which is atypical. These problems disappear when a 3600 lb rated tires is used. The typical 17" tire is barely adequate in the best of conditions, just the way it is.

#23 ·
All models of 19 tradesman have two different 17" wheels available on stock base and on option, plus 18's and 20's. Build one and see.

#25 ·
I was shooting for a retro look wheel/tire combo on my ‘18 SRW 3500 and I wanted 17” wheels with approximately 35” tires. I also needed a rating that would at least match the factory requirements. I found one 17” tire and no 17” wheels that provided the ratings I was comfortable with as I tow a lot of heavy equipment.

#26 ·
Trust me, I get annoyed with idiotic modifications that are only for show (stanced out Rams with 24" wheels... this would be a great example of a downgrade), or a lift that is greater than 3" to obtain the minimal tire clearance necessary.

the AEV 17" wheels have a 4100 lb load rating. Yes, the constraint is the tires.. but I do not do maxed out towing, just an Airstream. We do a lot of off-roading, desert racing, exploring... and driving. I am willing to "de-rate" my truck to maximize utility for MY specific mission. That is the primary variable/context that is missing here - intended use.

You are absolutely right, tire choice is critical, you would also be right if the mission was hauling heavy loads.

For me, personally, that's not it. I also have a 2500, not a 3500. If I were running a 3500 and heavy loads - I would for sure stick to 18" +

#28 ·
3195 per 17” tire would handle a gvwr of 12780 lbs exceeding the gvwr of a 2020 3500 by over a 1000lbs. A 3500 with full payload is very close to 50/50 weight distribution. The AAM 9.25 axle gvwr is 5600lbs. Most quality cast 17” wheels are at least 3500lbs with forged exceeding 5000lbs. My Toyo 37/1250/17 RT’s are rated at 3550 and my Walker beadlocks are rated at 3800.

#32 ·
Your front 9.25 front axle will bend before your 17” light truck tires and wheels explode. The 2020 3500 payload is limited by the front axle.

#36 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.