Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

15w 50 mobile 1 synthetic oil,, can i run it,,please respond ?

10575 Views 15 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  ubnoxus
15w 50 mobile 1 synthetic oil,, can i run it ?
i changed my oil and oil pressure has dropped at idle to 35 psi. it was at 60 at idle, orileys sold me the wrong oil and need to know if its going to be ok or do i need to change it back to the 15w 40,, 2000 dodge dually cumns
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· ICC Advertising Director
972 Posts
I don't know that it would harm any thing by nature, but it sounds like something is wrong. I would think you should switch back and hope the problem follows.

I ran the 5w40 in my powerstroke the entire tire I had it since the previous owner had been running it for 120k+. Never had a problem. Technically I ran the Mobil Delvac 1, but it is the same thing as the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck per Mobil's site.

· Premium Member
4,825 Posts
To be honest I have only heard of serious pullers/racers running something with 50 weight characteristics. I would run a 5w40 or 15w40 instead JMHO.

· Registered
208 Posts
maybe if you were four wheelin in the desert heat.That oil is too heavy for anything but severe duty service.The most important duty of the oil in a turbo diesel is getting oil to the turbo.If the weather gets cold enough that 15w may as well be mud.just my opinion I have always used 5w40 mobil1

· Registered
3 Posts
I'm not sure I'd be running older style CF-grade oil in my engine. I'd be looking at something like Mobil1 Turbo Diesel Truck (low ash reformulation of the good old Delvac1) which is a CI-4+ grade oil, especially formulated for ULSD and EGR-equipped rigs. I use it (and Delvac1 before the rename/reform) on my 'fleet' and the TDI's innards looks like the engine was just assembled last week.

Cheers
Duey

· Registered
144 Posts
Have you ever run synthetic before? If not then you need to change your oil filter. The synthetic can clean a dirty engine & plug up the filter.

· Registered
144 Posts
If the oil is recommended for use in a diesel then it should already be at least CI-4+. CI-4+ is the old formulation. CJ-4 is the new low ash formula designed for use in the 6.7 & their DPF (diesel particulate filter). Either will work in the 5.9. I personally prefer the CI-4+. It is getting hard to find. I find it at my local john deere dealer.

· Registered
412 Posts
say what?

Have you ever run synthetic before? If not then you need to change your oil filter. The synthetic can clean a dirty engine & plug up the filter.
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? wherever did you hear that? :confused013:

· Registered
729 Posts
Kinda of makes since IMO. Most companies say to disregard oil sample reports if you have just changed to synthetic from dino for the first time. The cleaning could sway reports.

· Registered
907 Posts
Don't believe everything you read online, alot of ignorant people have computers and can post anything they want to forums...
Great statement for your first post....uggghhhh

Well I would say that going to a Honda site for Cummins build help would be stupid and possibly contain some errant information....but going to a site dedicated to oil and oil related products may have a least one or two people with some knowledge.

And yes synthetic will clean out any residual buildup.....drop the filter and run it again, if your not happy and want to run synthetic get some engine cleaner (auto rx or amsoil or something like that) and then try it again, I also frequent the BITOG site...thats where I got turned onto this site.

· Registered
3 Posts
Not quite what I meant Shup1, i'm just saying if you go read one answer to a post doesn't make it correct or the best answer. Anyone can goto any forum and post. I'm sure you can attest to this as well as everyone else can, you see info that is incorrect just so someone can have 400 posts and sound smart. So I was saying just because you read it doesn't make it true. I should of worded it better sorry. Not one to sugar coat and make it sound sweet, speak it as I see it but will do my best to be nicer.

· Registered
907 Posts
I understand...just looked at the post and then the user name and thought evil thoguhts for a moment.

Absolutly I believe only about 10% of what I read, but I have read a considerable amount of posts by specific people on the BIOTG site and can attest to a higher than normal possibility that what has been written is factual.

No harm, no foul..just wish first post would have be 'HI'

:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.