Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1500 miles and its time to change the oil

2K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  mason1987 
#1 ·
So the truck only has 1500 miles on it and I'm getting a display on the overhead saying it is time to change the oil.

REALLY?????????????
3 gallons of oil in this thing and I'm suppose to change it already?

Does anyone know what the computer is counting to decide it is time for an oil change? Does it include the time since the oil change? Because it is a 2007.5 that was bought end of March of 2008 so the oil may have been sitting in the pan for almost a year.

I guess I won't feel too bad with an oil change if it isnt going to happen every 1500 miles. But in that case I would like to encourage my dealer to do it for free.

Anyone have any luck convincing the dealer to do an overly fast first oil change requirement?

#2 ·
Mine did the same thing. I changed it. Its just a stupid light. I only did because it was the first time. After that i have ignored it and stuck to the schedule for changes.

#3 ·
you should take your time to change the oil. first off you wont screw up. (i normaly do) and almost all of it will drain then. i no its not much that stays in there but id rather get ride of most of it and then get a clean looking oil instead of dirty after the first 10 miles. just my .02

#4 ·
Mine did the same thing. I had 3200 miles and it said to change the oil. I did because it was the first one now I have 5500 miles and it says to change it again. So Cowboy is it ok to do the normal 7500 between changes as the manual states, Because I got a 3 year 36000 mile free lube and filter with my truck. They sent enough coupons for the dealer to do it at the schedualed times of 7500 but the dealer told me it should be changed every 3000 mile. Are they full of sh*t? I really dont mind now beacause I am deployed and not driving it but when I get back I dont want to ruin a 50000 dollar truck.

#6 ·
Like with every other vehicle you have had, if you are using it hard, shorten up the intervals from what the manual states. If you are just cruising around then stick with 7500 mi.

#7 ·
Once you get the oil changed make sure they reset the overhead...when i had my first oil change i drove off and 5 minutes later the overhead said oil change required so i called the dealer and they said some of the trucks had to be reset manually and mine happens to be one of them. So i pulled over and did the follwing turn key to on position and floor it 3 times and it resets it:thumbsup

#8 ·
So was you dealer just full of $#!t, BS'ing you because he forgot to do it. Or do any truck really reset themselves?

#11 ·
Not sure i have had 4 oil changes since then and never had the light come on afterwards....i believe they forgot to reset it freakin' stealerships:butt:

#9 ·
I did my first one at 3000 due to an extended warranty requirement (aka how to help the stealership service departments make more money.) Couldn't tell if they reset it or not, so I did. How would you tell if they didn't and the light wasn't going off yet?

#10 ·
I've never seend mne come on. Changed the first oil at 2500, and then went to 7500 intervals after that.

Maybe mine isn't active, i dunno.

#12 ·
fu@k that stupid light change the oil on regular intervals mine comes on every 3k miles i have been round and round with the dealer the head tech says it determines this by duty cycles don't waist your money changing it i did just reset the light and forget it. at first they tried to say because i was in construction that it idles a lot witch is BS i said what 10 -15 min. is excessive after about 3 months of cussing them out he finally believed me but Chrysler don't care now i just reset it hell about 2 weeks ago i switched to amsoil next day light go figure. this probably don't mean but when i would let the stealership change the oil the light came on more then i changed to rotella and it went from 1500 to around 2800 miles before it came on now i am amsoil so we will see there is no sensor in the engine analyzing the oil i think it is a gimmick to get you to service it at the dealership also i guess that i am one of the few still with the original turbo no problems

#15 ·
I use amzoil too pods. But as long as you have the DPF and EGR on your truck it will be adding diesel to the oil (by seepage) and massive amounts of acids that eat at your mains and journals from the EGR allowing soot to be recirculated through the engine. Im going to DELO till I get DPF and EGR off, then I'll resume my extended drains again. Later. chris

#13 ·
The dealer wasn't being truthful. None of the "change oil now" indicators automatically clear, you have to reset it by doing the key on and press the accelerator 3 times.

As has been said, the ecu does not sample your oil nor calculate next oil change based on miles or time elapsed alone. Its a combination of all of those things plus the number of regens, how many start ups, etc. It is ultra conservative. You will always be safe if you change your oil when it says to, but you will also end up wasting a lot of money.

I have my oil tested by Blackstone when I change it. I easily go 7500+ miles between changes and my oil reports always say the oil is still in great shape, no fuel in it, etc. I'll probably run my next change out to 10K miles and see what the oil report says then.

My wife has a MB ML320 SUV with a 3.0 turbo diesel. The recommended oil change interval from Mercedes on that is 15K miles. Dang thing gets 30-32 mpg too.

#14 ·
I change mine every3-4 k . :thumbsup:hyper:

#16 ·
your overhead display calculates the oil change requirements based off a formula of operation. one of the major factors that will reduce the oil change intervals is the amount of diesel particulate filter regenerations the engine controller has done. after doing your oil change you need to reset the oil change counter by 1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (Do not start engine).
2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly three times within 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position
I would'nt ignore the oil change light, it's there for a reason, but be sure to reset it after doing the oil change, there is not little sensor in the oil pan. it's figured off of run times and operating conditions ! hope this clears things up.

#17 ·
Same thing here. My first change oil message came on at about 2400 miles. I got it changed, and the next one came on at about 4700 miles. I called the dealership, and said that I was not going to change the oil every 2400 miles +/-. He siad that it's probably because I was doing alot of city driving. While I live near the city, I have to take a small highway 10 miles to get anywhere. After that, it's mostly highway driving with a little stop and go. I told him that and he told me to try resetting it by doing the three pushes on the gas pedal. I've put another 500 miles on it now, and the light hasn't come back on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.