Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that some diesel pump builders tell me that the 14mm head won't work in a street application and some say that's not true and they can be used. What about the 12mm head?

So I ask those of you who have them, what is your real world experience with them?

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
They are all 12mm for the Ram application unless you change it. What about it?

I have seen a truck with the 14mm head drive on the road. You wouldn't know any difference........

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read and have been told that the14mm pumps will fail on the street, including two different guys at Shied (I think) or one of the big name shops that build pumps. I've been told by others that there's no difference.

Just wondering if anyone here has actually used one for street use. I saw one in Diesel POwer, but the article also said he's been through three in 60,000 miles...

·
Registered
648 Posts
I've read and have been told that the14mm pumps will fail on the street, including two different guys at Shied (I think) or one of the big name shops that build pumps. I've been told by others that there's no difference.

Just wondering if anyone here has actually used one for street use. I saw one in Diesel POwer, but the article also said he's been through three in 60,000 miles...
Not saying Scheid is stupid, but I've noticed most of the big name shops know nothing about the VE pumps.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
The 14mm heads don't like high rpm's, Josh Ayers runs one in his truck. He used to run it with a 4mm camplate but switched it out for the stock one.

·
Registered
716 Posts
The 14mm heads don't like high rpm's, Josh Ayers runs one in his truck. He used to run it with a 4mm camplate but switched it out for the stock one.
Till it ran away! I was sad when I saw that cause I love that pickup

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Might have been Piers' guys, just not sure.

Doesn't matter as it turns out, I'm doing a 4BT and the pumps are completely different...

·
Registered
706 Posts
Scheid sells a VE with a 14mm head and a 4mm camplate. They "say" they built it. And guess what....its $2300! Thats crazy,i could ppump my truck or buy a big turbo or somethin.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The problem with the 4BT is you can't just decide you're going to P-pump it and be done with it. They're $6000 new (just the pump, never mind the rest) from Cummins, I found one other for $2600 new, and the used engines are just as rediculous in price.

I am told there are heads up to 12mm made for the 4BT VE from Bosch. Now I just gotta find them.

·
World Champs!!!
24,255 Posts
You can get a 4 cyl. p-pump for significantly less than 6k. I don't know where you came up with 6k at, but I don't buy it.

I've never seen one that much

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Straight from Cummins North East. $5300 plus a $700 core... Don't really care if you buy it or not.

And as I also stated, I found another one for $2600, which is still rediculous.

·
World Champs!!!
24,255 Posts
:doh: Sorry, meant "don't buy it" or "I wouldn't buy it"; two thoughts combined I guess.

That's pretty damn expensive. Where was the 2600 new at?

·
Registered
302 Posts
driveability depends on the driver. If you turn the screw out then it doesn't fuel as hard but the injector size makes a big difference as well. I've got experience with 1 14mm truck that had huge injectors and it loped bad at idle, always hazed and the throttle set-up / governor weight made for very short but hard pulls when it did actually fuel.

12 or 14mm, ve's just don't put fuel out at high rpm like p-pump.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can't do a P-pump... Doesn't make finantial sense. Between buying one and modding it, I can have a Duramax or even a CR 6BT for the same price and power and they'd (bigger engines) be almost bone stock.

I have the room, so that's not an issue either. So its make the VE work, or switch everything.

I've learned alot about VE's the last few days over on the 1gen.org website.

·
Registered
706 Posts
silvrcummins, so your sayin you need big injectors with the 14mm head? And if you turn your fuel screw out and dont dog it all the time how long do you think they'll last? Miles wise.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From what I've been reading, the reason why the 14mm heads fail is lack of lubrication (fuel). Its more about the fuel system before the pump than the head itself.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
The hard truth is that for every 14mm head on an engine, there are 35 inane threads about it.

Until you bypass the stock vane pump in the VE, the 14mm head will starve itself. The vane pump can't even keep up with big injectors on a 12mm head. This is a truth. Further discussion regarding the details is difficult because out of the 10,000 people that know the words "14mm head" there are maybe three at any given time running one and maybe 10 that will ever have a setup worthy of one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
While the 14mm head is apparently a mute point for my combination, I would like to hear more about bypassing the rotor, as I've never seen anything about that on any of the forums yet.

Might be usefull on my 4BT pump...

1 - 20 of 177 Posts