Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i was wanting to know what year was the 5.9 turbo,that was mech. all the way with no ecm. this is what im wanting to do,i have a 85 chevy c20 4x4 i want to put the 5.9 and the 5 spd in that truck. so help me out here!!

ps im all chevy,dodge i just dont know that much about.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Any 12v...they have no computer control

·
AlGores worst nightmare
1,953 Posts
From '89-'98

·
Registered
898 Posts
94-98 have the p pumps

·
Registered
217 Posts
do thhe p pump!! 1998 have the best fuel system

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys,so what do think about,what im wanting to do? this truck will be for sale after its all done,and has no bug's.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
p-pump is the inline p-7100. the 12v is available with MANY different pumps, this one was used in the 94-98 dodge apps.

If you are looking at non dodge apps you can run across mechanical 12v's anywhere from antiques to engines into the year 2000

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
do thhe p pump!! 1998 have the best fuel system
96-98 manuals have the 215hp pump and injectors. The 'best' for free power but the pump has limitations in high hp applications. nothing special about a 98 other than the updated interior of the truck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i dont care where the engin comes from,i just kinda thought it would be easy to take one from a dodge truck because i would have the tranny and the motor mts. and the rad. and inter cooler.

what would you do ykdave?

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
That depends.... Finding one from a dodge would be the cats meow, just a simple transplant.

If finding one from a dodge or automotive app isnt going to happen, it wont be a huge deal to use an industrial engine, but your looking at alot more work and the possibility of having to find another pump for it (being an industrial engine it may not have the RQVK governer on it, heck it may even the the 'lowly' p-3000 pump)

·
Registered
431 Posts
The 95, like mine, was the last year it only had a PCM. No ECM. It is all mechanical. Nice, in some ways, but you can't put a tuner on it...Chip Free!! Any mods are wrenched.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
98.5 was the last of the mechanical engines in the dodges.... that is when they switched to the 24v with the electronically controlled VP44 pump

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.