Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck is hard to start but once started it will sometimes idle and drive fine. Then randomly it will start to bog down and I can give it full throttle and will still slowly loose rpms untill it dies. Any help or suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
There are a few things that can do that. Email me at [email protected] for my write up on the 12 valve fuel system, how it works and how to fix it.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Is the fuel filter fresh?

·
AlGores worst nightmare
1,953 Posts
Most likely the shutdown solenoid sticking a little, or not opening completely. They are VERY simple, can be taken apart, cleaned, and re-assembled.
Possibley fuel line air leaks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fuel filter has maybe 300 miles. Can you tell me more about the shutdown solenoid, where its at and how to take it apart and clean it.

·
AlGores worst nightmare
1,953 Posts
Back end of injection pump http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/Facts/figures/12Ve_locations-l.gif
2 bolts, 1 wire connection, and at the lower end a clip/cotter pin.
It has a rubber boot, that has likely fallen apart, thats supposed to seal it up. You can get a new boot from LarryB's Dodge starting problems solved here. where theres also a photo of the solenoid.
Some have used a bicycle inner tube section instead.
Nothing holds it together, just pull the plunger out, catch the spring. Clean it up, I don't even lube them, slip it back together. When re-installing, turn the key on with it hooked up. That'll hold it together so it won't fall apart when trying to hook it back up.
If it's OK, check the fusible link for looseness/bad connection. Then, if all else fails, get the relay from NAPA or whichever parts store you use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts