Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ive got a 215hp 12v in my 2003 f250. Did the conversion 18 months ago and to be honest it's been a pleasure.
As of last night friday but I went to pull into my drive and it stalled out. Started up but wouldn't idle. And when I feathered the throttle slowly it would idle back up.
Next day tried driving it and same deal. Drives perfect and makes the same power. Just when you push clutch in going into traffic or round about it stalls out. Clutch and and revs drop till it stalls. If I left foot brake and throttle it up it will slowly idle but kinda hunt for 30 secs and then idle fine at 800rpm. But if you stab throttle itll rev up but then drop down ro 500rpm and then hunt up and down between 600 and 800rpm till it slowly levels out again.
Things I've tried are
Fuel pressure check and it is when idling smooth its about 25psi or a little more. But when you stab the throttle its jump from 17 to 30psi until the revs smooth out.
I pulled lift pump apart and it all seems good
I've checked the tork tek overflow valve it seemed fine.
I've checked my 1/2 inch fuel feed and found a kinked line. Fixed that and no difference. Ive adjusted idle screw also.
Another problem ive had is fss hasn't been working for a couple months so fss has been tighted up and ive been stalling it to turn it off. Not ideal but waiting on a decent fss now.

Anyone have a clue? What else I could try. Also changed fuel filter as well.

·
Registered
17,318 Posts
Are you sure the clutch is disengaging? I'm thinking pilot bearing.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah its disengaging fine. It dont shudder or anything. Its really ODD To be honest

·
Registered
17,318 Posts
Is the engine/injection pump stock?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pump has afc live max travel kit and 4k gsk

·
Registered
17,318 Posts
I'd start there.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can the gsk springs go bad? The afc live lines all seem intact and no holes at all. The ute drives perfect until you wanna slow down. Also when reversing or driving slow it like bunny hops as the revs below 1000rpm are not stable unless its idled for about 20seconds

·
Registered
17,318 Posts
Did you keep the stock springs? I've spent the last hour searching for a conversation with a guy whose springs were causing him problems, but I don't recall what his idle was doing. Certainly worth a look.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Games I will have to try it out. Its really hard because I'm the only person in my town with this engine pretty much so know one knows how to work on the things

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder if not installing the 60lbs valve springs yet and valves could need adjusting. I dont ever rev it much over 3k ever st most prob 3100rpm on the very odd occasion. Im clutching at straws. Also the tork tek overflow wouldn't have failed woukd it? Uts not even 2years old. Its just odd. To start the ute it now needs a touch of throttle. Once you feather the throttle for a little it will slowly start to idle at the right rpm. As soon as you blip the throttle starts idling **** again till it levels out again after 20 30 secs

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Fuel pressure video this is with tork tek snubber in the pump.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

This is driving it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
17,318 Posts
60 pound valve spring won't affect the idle. Adjusting the valves won't affect it either. You appear to have good fuel pressure so the OFV is good. I couldn't figure out what your idle RPM is set at. It should be about 800 with the engine at operating temp. I consider the slow start when it is cold as a hard start and suspect you have an air leak on the suction side. I'm guessing you haven't checked the GSK by reinstalling the stock springs.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I was clutching at straws with the valve springs etc. And I will run over the suction side again today. Im hoping this is strainer is my issue as its in then tank sender elbow in the tank and ill be leaving it out. And also haven't got the stock gsk anymore unfortunately

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts