Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok sooo I've got a question about turbos. I was offered a practicly brand new turbo off a pulled 97 12V Cummins today:party018:. I was thinking of picking it up but I dont know if it would do me any good. Found another thread where someone asked the same question and apparently they would fit. But apparently it doesnt make any differance as far as horsepower which dosen't matter to me right now as I'm trying to just bring the old hound dog back to life, got enough problems as it is right now. VP, lift pump, transmission, list goes on. I just dont want to pass up this opportunity if it's a good deal. In the thread it was said switching the turbos wouldn't have any real power gains "Exsept" for 24V Autos. There was no further explanations on that..... That was it. :confused013:. A little confused. Would it be ok it nab it up and throw it on (At a far later date, "see previous problems")? Or no, and since mine is a 24V Auto.... IS there a horsepower gain, a benefit, good stuff?

Hit me back:thumbsup:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UMmmmmm Hello:S:? Does anyone know if this is possible and if there is any pros/cons????

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I think you should be fine using it, Im not sure if your hy9 has a goofy exhaust outlet or not but im fairly sure its the same as an hx35. It'll support slightly more power than your stocker but you're not going to notice any power gain on a stock motor, just more lag. Your turbo is a 9cm housing and a 35 is a 12cm housing so it'll flow more but it takes more exhaust to fill the extra volume before it spools.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I appreciate it. I think I might go ahead and pick it up. Waaaay down the road, when I try and go from stock to slightly more modified it will probably definatley come in handy. But until then I guess it's not going to do anything for me exsept have more lag like you said (Slower take off, Right?). But it looks like my turbo could have the potential to be in BAD shape since the PO wasn't running an air filter and I have no idea the kind of damage it has caused to the turbo ( I think it could be leaking/blowing a little oil, maybe). Besides it would work for now until I can someday buy a direct 24V replacement turbo. But the biggest factor..... It's FREE :party018: Man, ya can beat that with an ugly stick!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.