Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there any differneces in the 12v 47re 's and the 24v re's? looking to rebuild a shell 47re, but want to know if theres any differneces to look out for.thanks -scott

·
Registered
117 Posts
correct me if im wrong but in the 12 valves it was considered a 47rh because it was hydraulic not electronic and i believe that was most of the diffrence.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so the internals for a 47rh are not compatable witha 47re? would it be possible and or what wouldneed to be changed? thanks -scott

G

·
The only differences in the RH and RE versions was the valvebody and the case. Both make allowances for the wiring and the solenoids on the RE version.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
The only differences in the RH and RE versions was the valvebody and the case. Both make allowances for the wiring and the solenoids on the RE version.
The torque converter clutch in the 47RE is controlled
by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The
torque converter clutch engages in fourth gear, and
in third gear under various conditions, such as when
the O/D switch is OFF, when the vehicle is cruising
on a level surface after the vehicle has warmed up.
The torque converter clutch will disengage momentarily
when an increase in engine load is sensed by
the PCM, such as when the vehicle begins to go
uphill or the throttle pressure is increased. If the above is accurate, and I have every reason to believe it is, You will need the PCM in order us use the RE rather than the RH. PM me and I will send you a PDF on the 47RE and you can decide for yourself, and at least have a basis for the rebuild.

G

·
I believe the OP has an RE and wants to know if the internals from an RH will work.

Also, all of what you note is external to the trans, and is why the RE case will have allowances for wiring, and the VB will be different from the RH VB.

Also, given my personal observation of my '00 RE, the LU function will occur in 3rd gear, and will do so with a slight increase in throttle and when starting into a hill. I believe the reasoning behind that programming is to avoid excessive TC heat due to normal slippage while not in LU mode.

The torque converter clutch in the 47RE is controlled
by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The
torque converter clutch engages in fourth gear, and
in third gear under various conditions, such as when
the O/D switch is OFF, when the vehicle is cruising
on a level surface after the vehicle has warmed up.
The torque converter clutch will disengage momentarily
when an increase in engine load is sensed by
the PCM, such as when the vehicle begins to go
uphill or the throttle pressure is increased. If the above is accurate, and I have every reason to believe it is, You will need the PCM in order us use the RE rather than the RH. PM me and I will send you a PDF on the 47RE and you can decide for yourself, and at least have a basis for the rebuild.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts