Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

12v ignition wire, where to tie in

14528 6
I am installing a Auto meter fuel pressure gauge, and the fuel pressure gauge requires me to run a positive wire to the a 12volt keyed ignition source, I need to fin the right wire! Help!:confused013::doh:
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,980 Posts

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking at the diagram that states the black wire with the brown stripe. I found this wire and checked for 12 volts when the ignition was turned on, Nothing seemed to register? the truck was a 2002 in the diagram, mine is a 1998.5 could there be a difference?

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hate WIRING!

So I followed the diagram and found the wire that is shown for the 12 volt key on ignition source. but it does not work on the 1998.5! it must be different on the 2002?? I went through numerous wires with my tester poking and trying 1 by 1, I have found a few, but one wire triggered my wipers to run, and another my 4x4 light came on! I dont want to mess anything up, wiring scares the sh*! out of me.:doh::banghead::banghead:

So I brought myself to wiring my gauges that right into the radio fuse, I mean pulled the fuse and shuved the 2 wires in place! not really my style. So I either start ripping my dash apart to find out how to get at the back side of my fuse panel to tie into my radio wires, or hope someone has a better answer. CHEERS:banghead:

· Registered
246 Posts
I stuck the wires into my ignition fuse in the fuse box like you did the radio fuse for my fp gauge. I've done that on many trucks before and no problems.

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought a adapter that plugs into the fuse spot, it works just fine

· Registered
245 Posts
I am installing a Auto meter fuel pressure gauge, and the fuel pressure gauge requires me to run a positive wire to the a 12volt keyed ignition source, I need to fin the right wire! Help!:confused013::doh:
When I need a good switched or constant power tap it's easiest for me to pop the "knee buster" and go under the steering column into the cluster of wires that are in it and there are usually 2-3 bigger wires (than the rest) and use a meter to find one that's switched and one that's constant. It's easier to me than running to the battery and tapping a cigarette lighter wire...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.