Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends has a ford that he put a 12v Cummins in. But the thing is he is runnin a bigger p pump, 120hp injectors, and a Silver Bullet 66 rebuilt to a
71mm. But the thing is it was dynoed and was only making 300hp wit about 610ft lbs of torque. The Hp range doesn't sound like it is correct. Do you think its not getting enough fuel? It rolls smoke on the low end but it cleans itself up once the turbo spools. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
He should really be running more fuel with a turbo that size

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
That's nowhere near what his current turbo and injectors ought to support. Assuming his fuel plate isn't slid all the way back, I'd say check to see if the afc is set correctly to allow full fueling once boost comes on, or even temporarily just take out the afc foot. That would confirm or eliminate the afc setup causing the problem. Also, does his pump have the 215 hp rack travel plug? If not, could that maybe be stopping the rack from moving as far as it otherwise could?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is no plate in the truck, and the AFC foot is taken off, and all i know is the p pump is a aftermarket one just not sure how big. What size of injectors would you recommend?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Probably some 5x16's, but depends on what he uses the truck for

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Usually uses it for some towing, some truck pulling, but mostly street drivin. Where would i get that big of a injector at?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I would tell you but his name is not to be spoken of on here... Lets just say hes a fat bald asian

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does CCP or SDX make that big of a injector?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
SDX does not sure about CCP.

Towing with that big of a single isn't going to be much fun BTW.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it doesn't really do to bad, we pulled about 12,000lbs about 300miles to Numdia All Diesel Nationals and it spools relatively quick, It actually does pretty good. But if he goes with bigger injectors then i dont know how it will do.

·
Registered
226 Posts
What is he using for a fuel system? If he is using the Cummins lift pump and the Ford fuel lines, I can tell you from experience that this is the problem. He needs to run a FASS or Airdog to be able to support those mods. As you can see in my sig, I am almost to the 500hp mark,:banghead: with a much smaller turbo.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes he is runnin the stock lifter pump, how much Hp would he expect with 5-.016 injectors and a raptor 150? Around 600 maybe?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ok, thats a problem. The Ford steel fuel lines and the stock lift pump are too small to flow the fuel that it needs. It's gonna take an electric fuel pump with big hoses and a big pickup in the tank. With that setup I would expect to see 550hp? I'm assuming that his IP has had the full work-up?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So ill just get a Rapter 150(1/2in lines included) and order a vulcan V drawstraw and ill be set. If by IP you mean injection pump, than yes it is a larger aftermarket one. But i do have one question, can you still change out Gov. springs since it is a larger pump?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
My friends has a ford that he put a 12v Cummins in. But the thing is he is runnin a bigger p pump, 120hp injectors, and a Silver Bullet 66 rebuilt to a
71mm. But the thing is it was dynoed and was only making 300hp wit about 610ft lbs of torque. The Hp range doesn't sound like it is correct. Do you think its not getting enough fuel? It rolls smoke on the low end but it cleans itself up once the turbo spools. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Does it run good, 5speed or auto? Whose injectors?
There is no plate in the truck, and the AFC foot is taken off, and all i know is the p pump is a aftermarket one just not sure how big. What size of injectors would you recommend?
With the AFC off he could be over fueling it, also. Lot of smoke on the run?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is the Ford 6spd, and it runs great, pulls great but it only runs lower rpm's hence the need for the 4Gsk and valve springs. And it pours smoke out at low rpm's until the turbo spools and you can't even see a haze, it is completely clean.

·
Registered
226 Posts
So ill just get a Rapter 150(1/2in lines included) and order a vulcan V drawstraw and ill be set. If by IP you mean injection pump, than yes it is a larger aftermarket one. But i do have one question, can you still change out Gov. springs since it is a larger pump?
The raptor definitely will not hurt anything. Before you buy governor springs and such, I would check with whoever supplied the pump and see if they can tell you how it was set up. Also check to make sure the timing is where you want it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How many degree's of timing would you recommend? Around 18*?

·
Registered
149 Posts
The HFCM(horizontal fuel conditional module)(fuel pump and water separator) on the frame of Superduty trucks is more than enough to fuel his hopes. The stock Ford lines coming out of the HFCM on the '03-'07 are 3/8". I've seen them disconnected at the shock tower quick-connects and fitted to AN-6 through AN-10 and connected directly to the p-pump and supply all you could ask for. The HFCM will put up 65-95psi depric fuel pumpending on condition and should be regulated down to 40-45psi. It should not be ran through the stock cummins lift pump! Also, what has been done for regulated return or OFV. This is very important too. Oh, and to the other posts about aftermarket fuel pumps and systems, there is no need for anything other than what comes on the Ford, it is an electric pump. Puts out fuel flow and psi comparable to the FASS and Airdog. Steven.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This ford is a 2001 i think, did they have the fuel pump on the frame rail on that late model of a truck?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts