Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

12v fuel plate problem

2135 Views 15 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  tgreeman
Ok I just got this truck and I was wanting to pull the fuel plate out of it but it seems as one of the bolts was broke off on the cover where the fuel plate is. It is on the top right is the one thats broke off and I dont know that there is any way to get it out and put a new one in it.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
That is a factory anti-tamper break off bolt. I use a sharp chisel to cut slot in it and use a flat tip screw driver to back it out.

Derek

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From looking at the pictures of the pump if your standing from you bumper and looking at it the breakoff is in the bottom left this bolt is the top right, and its broke off in the pump I need a way to get it out.

· Registered
47 Posts
Is it broke off flush with the pump?

· Registered
693 Posts
It broke cause someone has been in the pump befor just pull the others do what you want to the pump and put the AFC back on if you can get the broken one out good if not no big deal the other 3 will hold it.

· Registered
512 Posts
If it is not broke off smooth, you might be able to use a small screwdriver or punch to carefully work it out. Hopefully its loose in the threads cause when the head broke off, it shouldn't be tight on anything now.

Jordan

· Registered
47 Posts
you could try center punching it and using a left handed drill bit, sometimes it will back it out. Just make sure no metal gets in the pump.

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your help guys I'm a newb and when I said take the plate out I ment I wanted to move it up I want power not just smoke.

· Registered
283 Posts
im havin alot of trouble gettin my break off bolt loose. its drivin me absolutly crazy. i want to slide my plate forward so bad. im bout to break it off with a chisel. will the rest of the bolts hold it on good enough?? i though bout drillin it out but scared im gonna mess up the threads. what do you guys think??

· Registered
1,014 Posts
im havin alot of trouble gettin my break off bolt loose. its drivin me absolutly crazy. i want to slide my plate forward so bad. im bout to break it off with a chisel. will the rest of the bolts hold it on good enough?? i though bout drillin it out but scared im gonna mess up the threads. what do you guys think??
I have 3 holding on mine:thumbsup:

· Registered
9,910 Posts
3 bolts are more than enough to hold it

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
3 hold mine I got lucky when I broke the head off of my break off bolt I was able to take the AFC housing off and turn it with my finger it was that loose and it came right out. I was thrilled because I have another bold broke off.

· Premium Member
12,495 Posts
The easiest way I've found to remove the break off bolt is to just drill the head off with a long 1/4" bit that fits in between the injector lines.
Same idea as chiseling off the head.
Easy to unscrew the headless bolt after the cover is off.
I always replace all four bolts with allan heads, makes it easier to remove them the next time.

· Registered
1,173 Posts
In order to remove a headless bolt you will need what's called an "EZ Off" (I think that's what it's called). The one I had to buy was made by Irwin, and I believe them to be commonly available, I got mine at a small hardware store. While working on my Passat changing out injector nozzles I broke of one of the bolts holding down the injectors right flush with the head! Thought I was screwed, till I eventually called the hardware store.

It's basically like a reverse tap with a very steep pitch that you stick in a drill, and use in reverse. The bolt came out immediately with this tool.

That's what I would suggest,
g'luck

· Registered
71 Posts
I have a good trick for the tamper bolt as well. I use a nut driver that will take interchangable bits like torks, allen heads or phillips or flat screw driver. I just pick and allen head that is slightly bigger than the indentation in the top of the screw. Put it in the tool put the allen head against the screw head centered and whack the end of it two or three good times with a hammer. The screw is pretty soft so don't over do it. By this time I can usually back them right out and if I am carefull enough I can re-use them and just use the allen head to turn it out if i need to adjust or change plates.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.